Ambulatory RN - Family Medicine Primary Care Practice
Department: Fmly Med PC Prctc
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
Experience and Education
2. Schedules patients' appointments, tests, and procedures via on-line computer system or telephone, and reinforces physician instructions in person and through telephone contact.
3. Provides patient education and documents patient's response in medical record.
4. Ensures appropriate patient consents and authorizations are obtained for research and/or medical treatment.
5. Triages patient phone inquiries according to physician and/or departmental protocols and documents such actions in patients' medical records.
6. Provides working supervision and delegates tasks to licensed vocational nurses, non-licensed medical staff, or office support personnel.
7. Proficiency in electronic medical record documentation.
8. Participates in the recommendation of policy and/or procedural changes according to nursing expertise.
9. Prepares equipment and assists physicians during physical exams and medical procedures. Prepares and administers medications as prescribed by physician.
10. Inspects equipment and facilities visually and physically to ensure patient safety and proper functioning of equipment. Maintains adequate stock of supplies as required for work area.
11. Attends and participates in meetings related to clinical activities.
12. Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
1. Provides patient education, procedural instructions, medication administration, general health information and completes provider's verbal and written orders. Communicates with patients via MyChart and phone calls. Completes medication refills according to standing orders. Adheres to best practices and functions within Registered Nurse scope of practice. Performs pre-visit planning for next day patient visits.
2. Triage walk-ins and telephone calls. Utilize nurse practice act along with the UTSW guidelines, policies and procedures. Review in-basket daily addressing all messages and communicating to patients within 4 hours.
3. Performs administrative tasks: fax, copy, prepare documents for the providers and assist new healthcare team members with EPIC applications and guidance. Performs other duties as assigned, maintains and updates knowledge of sanitation, infection control, safety supplies, equipment and appropriate utilization of supplies and materials. Completes twice monthly inventory of medications and submission of order.
4. Coordination of care: receive lists of at-risk patients requiring additional follow-up care for the physicians on their individual teams. (Examples include patients with HbA1c greater than 9%, diabetic patients with no LDL or LDL-c greater than 100). Additionally, they follow up to schedule patients that have missed best-practice appointments, screening and vaccinations.
5. Registered Nurses serve as leaders of their individual team. Organizing workflow and delegating tasks. Oversee delegation tasks of LVN, CMOA, or CSA work. Provide secondary assistance to improve patient throughput in clinic. Support procedural tasks such as medication administration, point of care testing, EKGs, specimen collection, and provider assistance.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.