Animal Care Attendant
Categories: Research & Laboratory Support
Department: Animal Resources Center
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
High school graduation or equivalent and no experience required.
- Operate cage washing and processing equipment and perform appropriate start-up and shut-down procedures. Throughly clean and monitor equipment throughout the day and report equipment failures to the supervisor. Maintain high quality sanitization. Recognize the facility's equipment needs and rapidly processes appropriate equipment. Maintain cage wash logs and steam strip logs.
- Operates autoclave equipment. Cleans and maintains autoclaves equipment. Reports equipment failures and maintains log books. Evaluates and prepares extra equipment and delivers sterile equipment to appropriate storage rooms.
- Comply with and wear required personal protective equipment.
- Cleans and maintains multiple support areas (storage rooms, restrooms, breakrooms, procedure labs) as well as main hallways. Utilizes appropriate techniques and chemicals to ensure sanitization of all surfaces. Accurately requests, sorts, organizes routine supplies to meet area needs. Provides supply requests in a timely manner.
- Correctly applies appropriate techniques and chemicals to maintain facility floors. Routinely sweeps and mops. Utilizes floor machines to effectively remove buildup of wax and debris. Follows appropriate safety procedures.
- Process animal caging through the cage wash equipment. Add appropriate bedding and enrichment to animal caging. Examine equipment for cracks or malfunctioned parts, reject unclean or broken equipment.
- Maintain requried attendance level and adherence to set work schedule in accordance with required staffing levels in order to ensure that assigned duties are completed. Ability to work weekends as assigned.
- Perform housekeeping duties and laundry. Keep machines cleaned and well-maintained.
- Follow appropriate safety procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.