Animal Technician - Animal Recourses Center
Categories: Research & Laboratory Support
Department: Animal Resources Center
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Previous experience in animal caretaking preferred.
- Review, comprehend and comply with all SOP's and quality assurance standards pertaining to specific area.
- Monitor daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations, animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily bottle/cage checks; provide appropriate food and water; perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
- Assist with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as assigned by the on-site Supervisor.
- Receive, identify and house selected animal species; maintain related records. Receive, inspect and pack/unpack animals for transport; ensure and provide for sentinel animals in each rodent housing area. Maintain rodent sentinels as described in the rodent sentinel SOPs for housing and daily care.
- Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety guidelines. Sanitize facilities, animal housing units and ancillary animal care equipment.
- May perform minor medical treatments of animals as directed by the veterinary staff.
- Perform general housekeeping and adhere to safety procedures. Comply with and wear required personal protective equipment.
- Observe and report problems involving animal care equipment and environmental support system.
- Maintain accurate departmental animal housing or support area record keeping.
- Perform tasks of animal care attendants as needed.
- Maintain required attendance level and adherence to work schedule in accordance with required staffing levels in order to ensure that assigned duties are completed.
Performs other duties as assigned.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.