Certified Medical Office Assistant - Otolaryngology Adult - Practice Plan Professional Aston
Department: OTO Adult Prof Aston
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
Experience and Education
Medical Assistant certification and maintenance of current certified status through one of the following: The American Association of Medical Assistants, the American Medical Technologists Association, the National Association for Health Professionals, the National Center for Competency Testing, The National Healthcareer Association or American Allied Health.
2. Escorts or transports patients to exam rooms or treatment rooms, or other areas as directed.
3. Documents completion of patient care tasks in medical records, and reinforces education provided by the physician or nurse seeking assistance from the nurse or physician as appropriate. Confirms appropriate patient consent and authorization forms are signed for research and/or medical treatment
4. Assists in care of patients by preparing exam rooms for patient care, facilitating use of diagnostic equipment, and ensuring availability of needed patient information, such as results of diagnostic exams and medical records.
5. Assumes responsibility for weekly autoclave temperature monitoring, POC testing QA, and monthly audit report on compliance as directed by clinic management.
6. Serves as preceptor and resource for newly-hired medical assistants and medical assistant externs, actively participating in their integration into the department.
7. May perform a variety of administrative/clerical duties, scheduling patient appointments, precertifying procedures, answering patient phones by collecting data to forward to the nurse for triage as directed.
8. Inspects equipment and facilities visually and physically to ensure patient safety and proper functioning. Maintains adequate stock of supplies as required for work area.
9. May function as a clinic safety officer, verifying each employee's knowledge of fire safety and the evacuation plan for the work area as directed.
10. Maintains current customer service, clinical, and technical skills by attending training programs and procedures. Participates in annual skills competency review.
11. May provide occasional working supervision to non-licensed medical and/or clerical office support personnel for clerical functions or other non-clinical activities.
12. Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records. Performs other duties as assigned.
Confident Team player a must. High volume fast paced clinic. Successful candidate must be comfortable managing clinic flow and practicing independently within their scope. Flexible. Expect to assist in varied Ear Nose and Throat surgical Subspecialties: General ENT, Plastic Surgery, Head and Neck Surgery, Rhinology, Laryngology, Neurotology and Otology. Back Office Support. Assist Nurses and Surgeons with clinic telephone and email messages as appropriate for scope of practice, patient appointment scheduling, and complete FMLA documents. Experience with EPIC electronic health record software preferred. Outpatient clinic experience preferred/ Military Medics, and Corpsman experience will be considered also: family medicine, internal medicine, cardiology, ear nose and throat, radiation oncology, and gastroenterology clinics. High volume. Experience in assisting patients with cancer diagnosis is a plus. HIGH VOLUME. ENDOSCOPE PROCESSING EXPERIENCE PREFERRED. HIGH VOLUME: Instrument Sterilization and Autoclave experience preferred.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.