Clinic Staff Assistant III - Neurology & Neurotherapeutics - NE Aston - Admin
Department: NE Aston - Administration
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
High school graduate and successful completion of UT Southwestern CSA Career Program requirements; and one year experience as CSA II or Float CSA II. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Must perform on a regular basis and demonstrate proficiency in at least 4 clinical front office workflows related to the clinic:
- Registration and Scheduling: a) Completes detailed patient demographic and insurance information in electronic medical record (EMR) system, selecting appropriate insurance plans and payors. b) Completes all required CMS forms following billing compliance standards and policies. c) Schedules patient appointments utilizing demographic and registration best practice model.
- Phones: a) Answers patient phone calls utilizing UT Southwestern PURE concepts. b) Able to problem solve utilizing department protocols as necessary to meet patient's needs. c) Documents and routes patient communications appropriately following EMR and documentation standards.
- Patient Check-in: a) Greets and directs patients and/or visitors to appropriate location, providing information as needed. b) Confirms registration information and updates as appropriate; obtains pertinent information to complete all required forms. c) Collects outstanding patient balances on account and posts payments appropriately. d) Arrives patients in EMR following clinical front office best practices. e) Ensures all patients are continually informed of their visit status when appointments are delayed.
- Patient Check-out: a) Per department standards, schedules appointments and follow-up visits and/or surgery, laboratory testing, etc. to ensure efficiency of patient care. b) Receives patient payments, enters payment information per standard into billing system, and provides receipt for payment to all patients. c) Collects outstanding patient balances on account and posts payments appropriately.
- Insurance Verification: a. Verifies patient insurance benefits prior to patient appointments utilizing online and automated verification systems. b. Updates patient EMR documenting patient benefit information. c. Communicates with patients and check-in staff to ensure accurate patient payments are collected at time of service.
- Referral Management: a) Schedules referral appointments utilizing EMR work queues following access to care standards. b) Confirms scheduling information and provides patient with any additional requirements. c) Documents all contact attempts with patient following policy and procedures. d) Tracks referral scheduling statuses and ensures referrals are completed in a timely fashion.
- Billing activities: a) Pre-certifies third party payers; obtains referrals for patients; works closely with physicians and nurses regarding patient care issues. b) Maintains knowledge of relevant billing issues to reduce automated edits in the billing system.
- Maintains high level of customer service to all internal and external customers.
- Maintains patient confidentiality in accordance with university and department policy.
- Attends minimum of five (5) hours of Clinic Staff Assistant Program continuing education per year.
- Maintains neatness of customer waiting area; keeps area stocked with pamphlets and other materials as appropriate.
- May ensure adequate inventory of items necessary for day-to-day functions of clinic, such as office supplies and sample medications.
- May provide working supervision for other Clinic Staff Assistants (CSA I's and II's). Displaying problem solving skills and the ability to work independently to effectively resolve issues that may arise in the course of the day.
- Functions as preceptor and assists with cross-training to ensure new CSA staff receive orientation to work tasks.
- Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: (a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; (b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; (c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or (d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Verify insurance and obtain benefits for procedures performed in the neurology clinics
Obtain authorizations and/or precertifications for procedures performed in the neurology clinics
Arrange for drug delivery with specialty pharmacies for procedures performed in the neurology clinics
Schedule/reschedule procedures as needed based on authorizations pending or medication shipment delays
Discuss financial responsibilities with patients relative to upcoming procedures
Provide service estimates with patients relative to upcoming procedures
Connect patients with financial counselors as needed
Connect patients with copay assistance programs via drug companies as requested or as patients qualify
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.