Coding Specialist I - Anesthesiology & Pain Management (Not a remote position)
Categories: Insurance / Billing
Department: Anesthesiology & Pain Mgmt
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED) and certification as an entry level coder to include Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Coding Associate (CCA). Must have knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology. Knowledge of Correct Coding Initiatives (CCI), Epic electronic health record systems and 3M coding software is preferred.
1. Performs accurate and timely review of entry level, coding, and abstracting of UTSW accounts utilizing ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM, and CPT-4 code sets as indicated and according to coding team procedures.
2. Performs basic coding activities in a manner that meets productivity and quality standards as established by the coding leadership.
3. Maintains current understanding of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, disease processes, coding guidelines, and teaching physician documentation guidelines and grows knowledge through participation in continuing education programs.
4. Assists in upholding coding team expectations of effective communications, including , customer service standards, professionalism, operating procedures, processes, and other team strategies and goals.
5. Assist in promoting a culture of support, continuous learning, and team work.
6. Adheres to all UTSW and departmental policies and procedures to include the Remote Coding Agreement where applicable.
Performs other duties as assigned.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.