Computational Biologist I - Obstetrics & Gynecology - Green Center
Categories: Research & Laboratory Support
Department: OB Gyn Green Center
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
Experience and Education
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field of biological science, and two (2) years related research experience in bioinformatics and computational biology.
Manage research laboratory computer hardware and software programming and maintenance. Ensure existing systems meet the continuing needs of the lab and/or recommend and test new systems as necessary.
Perform complex data analysis related to specialized research methodologies and results as assigned by the Principle Investigator.
Develop and/or modify software to support new and ongoing research projects.
Resolve hardware, software, and network issues in support of the laboratory.
Develop and maintain complex databases to support new and ongoing research projects.
Train laboratory staff in the use of pertinent research systems.
May specialize in bioinformatics, software development, network administration, or hardware/software maintenance.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Perform complex data analysis related to specialized research methodologies and results as assigned by the lab head.
- Develop and/or modify software to support new and ongoing research projects.
- Perform computational and statistical data analysis work in support of scientific research using technical knowledge of software, software development, networking, and/or hardware in a complex computing environment.
- Subject matter expert in multiple areas of computing technology, and specific knowledge of molecular biology and genetics.
- Collaborate with the lab head and other computational biologists to identify and develop new concepts and programs for data collection and analysis.
- Use expert knowledge to develop new methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Oversee development and maintenance of software to support new and ongoing research projects.
- Manage assigned research projects with minimal input from PI.
- Direct projects with undefined time lines and uncertain outcomes, requiring analysis from multiple perspectives.
- Assist with special projects at the request of the PI. Includes organizing and managing databases and data sets, as well as management of research laboratory computer hardware and software programming and maintenance. Ensure existing systems meet the continuing needs of the lab and/or recommend and test new systems as necessary.
- Train laboratory staff in the use of pertinent research systems
- Prepare research reports for presentation and assist with preparation of manuscripts for publication.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.