Computational Biologist II - Immunology - Microarray Core
Categories: Research & Laboratory Support
Department: Microarray Core
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field of biological science, thesis work in bioinformatics and computational biology.
Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field of biological science, and two (2) years related research experience in bioinformatics and computational biology.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field of biological science, and four (4) years related research experience in bioinformatics and computational biology.
- Perform professional work in support of scientific research using technical knowledge of software, software development, networking, and/or hardware in a complex computing environment. Subject matter expert in multiple areas of computing technology, and specific knowledge of molecular biology and genetics.
- Manage computer hardware and software programming and maintenance for one or more research laboratories. Ensure existing systems meet the continuing needs of the labs and/or recommend and test new systems as necessary.
- Perform or direct others to perform complex data analysis related to specialized research methodologies and results. Manage assigned research projects with minimal input from the Principle Investigator.
- Develop and/or modify software to support new and ongoing research projects.
- Resolve hardware, software, and network issues in support of the laboratory.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of complex databases to support new and ongoing research projects.
- Prepare research reports for presentation, and assist with preparation of manuscripts for publication.
- May specialize in bioinformatics, software development, network administration, or hardware/software maintenance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Will work in the Genomics side of the Genomics & Microarray Core in the Department of Immunology. The person selected will specialize in bioinformatics, network administration and hardware/software maintenance as well as maintain complex databases and perform complex data analysis. The person in this position will ensure the appropriate operation of our iLabs core facility website and troubleshoot problems as they arise. Will also participate in core facility billing operations.
Some experience with iLab website use preferred.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.