Department of Surgery Chair
Categories: Faculty / Physician
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center is seeking a Department Chair, who will have overall responsibility for strategy, program development and operations in surgery within this prestigious institution. He/she will oversee the growth and development of centers of excellence and outstanding clinical programs and will support groundbreaking clinical and translational research. This important position requires a dynamic, passionate and experienced physician/scientist leader with a proven track record across the spectrum of individual scholarship, collaborative clinical leadership, unique program growth and development, educational excellence, successful faculty recruitment, and community engagement.
· Provide visionary, innovative and inspirational leadership to the Department of Surgery at this unique point in time. Ensure that UTSW’s Department leads the advances and stays at the forefront of surgery with novel approaches and collaborations. Create the Department’s research strategy. Ensure a deliberate investment into research activities and priorities within the Department.
· Provide the vision and leadership to achieve superior clinical programs in surgery. Ensure consistent quality across all sub-specialties.
· Assure that residents and fellows receive excellent clinical education and advanced training. Provide leadership and oversight to the training programs within the Department.
· Oversee the development and monitoring of the departmental budget that encompasses all funding sources and ensures compliance with grant, legislative and institutional guidelines.
· Attract, hire, and retain outstanding faculty within all subspecialties of Surgery. Ensure an atmosphere of support and development.
Encourage ethical medical and financial practice across the Department.
Qualified applicants should possess credentials for academic appointment at the level of Professor and have or be eligible for a Texas medical license.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.