FINANCE COUNSELOR I - Aston Ambulatory Care Center - (Fort Worth - TX)
Categories: Insurance / Billing
Department: UTSW CC Moncrief Med Center
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
High school diploma with 4 years of financial counselor or equivalent experience. Bachelor's degree preferred.
1. Provide financial counseling for patients within one department.
2. Responsible for providing benefits review. Reviews benefits to ensure that organization and patient understand the extent of coverage for services.
3. Accurately utilizes cost estimate technology to create cost estimates for services and communicates estimated costs to patients and other affected parties.
4. Accurately posts payments and assists in the creation of payment plans for upcoming services and/or outstanding balances.
5. Responsible for reviewing account details for patient education and/or correction. Reviews balances and communicates to patient and other affected parties about outstanding balances. Assists patients in resolving account questions and concerns.
6. Responsible for understanding the revenue cycle, including all involved parties and appropriate escalation pathways.
7. Knowledge of various regulatory agencies: JCAHO, Medicare/Medicaid Laws, State & Federal Laws, Hospital/Departmental Policies.
8. Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
Performs other duties as assigned.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.