HIM Coordinator - Auditor - Part Time - Health Information Management
Department: Hlth Infrmtn Mgmt Admin
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Associate degree or two years of college in Business Administration or other related field, and five (5) years of previous healthcare experience strongly preferred but not required.
Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00am - 3:00pm)
- Provides orientation and training for staff members on procedures, system functions, and activities required to perform job.
- Provides input to Supervisor's for performance appraisals and personnel issues.
- Works on special projects relating to issues specific to area of assignment.
- Makes recommendations for changes in procedure to increase productivity and accuracy.
- Interprets and retrieves medical records information from patients' medical charts at Aston Center and affiliated hospitals.
- Locates and pulls charts and copies requested following facility guidelines.
- Analyzes requests to determine what records are to be pulled and from which facility.
- Uses various software to retrieve documents located via PC (i.e., Cerner, Oasis, FileNet, Imaging System and PHHS Transcription System) and investigates and locates missing files.
- Assists in performing reporting and clerical functions within division. Completes request forms, documents records retrieval activity, mails requested information to requesters and assists with production reports and logs.
- Retrieves and delivers requests for medical record.
- Enters information to patient accounts using computer.
- Functions as resource person for clinical department personnel to answer questions and assists with problem resolution.
- Monitors trends in Medical Record requests processing and informs management.
- Completes special projects as requested, which may involve analyzing demographic information.
- Provides back up relief for various areas of Health Information Management Department.
- Performs some duties of Supervisor in their absence.
- Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
- The Physician Support Auditor is responsible for identifying areas of non-compliance with regards to medical record timeliness, appropriateness, and quality documentation.
- This position will be responsible for adhering to established processes and procedures throughout the organization that maintains the integrity of the medical record and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Duties will include maintaining current knowledge of regulatory agency guidelines, performing audits, and reporting findings. Knowledge of Epic Deficiency and chart correction process desired. T
- This position will also provide recommendations based on the data collection and documentation behaviors resulting from medical record audits and will work with staff and educate providers to ensure compliance.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of medical terminology and regulatory requirements; Strong written and verbal communication skills with emphasis on relationship building and communicating effectively with customers including providers; Able to work independently and meet deadlines; Accept duties with increasing responsibility; Good knowledge of HIM operations and basic knowledge of the revenue cycle for the purpose of communicating corrective action recommendations; Work in an environment with multiple campuses and satellite locations; Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.