HIM Medical Editor - Ambulatory Services - Health Information Management
Department: Ambulatory Services - HIM
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
High school diploma or equivalent and two (2) years previous related experience is required. Preferred: Certified Medical Transcriptionist and one (1) year previous related experience. Work requires strong analytical, critical thinking and medical terminology skills.
1. Provides transcription training and knowledge for staff members on procedures, system functions, and activities required to perform job.
2. Protects the privacy and security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained.
3. Listens and edits dictations for various work types as needed for providers to ensure data integrity.
4. Establishes policies, procedures, provider templates, and special instructions for the UTSW providers and their Administrative staff.
5. Possesses and maintains current transcription practices, standards, knowledge in accordance to AHDI guidelines/book of style while sharing with the HIM Transcription Team.
6. Collaboratively works with the UTSW Transcription vendor, providers, clinical staff, and HIM staff to identify and problem solve concerns while ensuring adherence to the UTSW account specifics.
7. Assists in determining work priorities and establishing assignments for HIM staff.
8. Reviews, edits, and processes transcribed documents for UTSW providers and their dictating staff while ensuring the highest quality in terms of accuracy, medical terminology, format, grammar, and punctuation.
9. Analyzes and reports quality errors while communicating industry standards to UTSW Transcription vendor and team members.
10. Provides and coordinates team training, conduct in-services, and performs team statistical, productivity, and quality audits.
11. Monitors workflow to meet turnaround times, production and quality standards as well as other project deadlines.
12. Communicates all concerns, customer complaints, and other information that might adversely affect the UTSW or department to HIM Management.
13. Ability to work simultaneously with various systems/software with a high level of technical skill and knowledge in order to meet deadlines and provide tangible deliverables.
14. Maintains patient and employee confidentiality while reporting concerns to HIM Management.
15. Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: (a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; (b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; (c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or (d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
Performs other duties as assigned.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.