Optician - Ophthalmology
Categories: Allied Health Professionals
Department: Ophthlmlgy Clnc
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
Experience and Education
2. Ensures that all monitoring measures are in place to prevent loss due to theft during store hours. Tracks profit and loss for the optical shop and advises clinical leadership.
3. Designs and adapts lenses and frames in accordance with written prescriptions and patients' vocational and avocational visual requirements. Recommends lenses for safety and efficiency; assists patients in selecting appropriate frames according to style and color, coordinating them with patients facial and eye measurements. Fits glasses by measuring bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, and optical center of eyes. Prepares work order for grinding lenses and fabricating spectacles.
4. Verifies exactness of finished spectacles. Adjusts frames and lens positions to fit patients by heating, shaping, or bending frames. Instructs patients as to correct wear and care of glasses.
5. Maintains patients' optical records as well as inventory and bookkeeping records.
6. Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.