Quality Assurance Specialist - Clinical Registry - Simmons Cancer Center
Categories: Administrative / Clerical Support
Department: Simmons Cancer Center
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Two years of college and two to five (2-5) years of related experience; OR five (5) years of related experience in health care environment; OR Bachelor's degree with two (2) years experience, or equivalent experience is required.
Establishes, implements and monitors processes to ensure the quality of cancer registry data.
Ensures cancer data management and registry operations are consistent with requirements identified by the ACoS, DSHS Cancer Registry, ASCO QOPI, and UTSW leadership including abstracting timeliness and follow-up compliance.
Performs monthly quality assurance review on a minimum of 10% of the annual analytic caseload.
Develops, recommends and monitors corrective and preventive educational actions.
Assists the Manager in determining training needs and developing training programs for staff. Monitors staff abstract discrepancy trends, performance standards, and turnaround time for processing and completeness of abstracts using knowledge of multiple SEER, ACoS, and NAACCR cancer registration guidelines and standards. Serves as technical expert for staff in addressing cancer reporting and coding issues.
Ensures that 10% of analytic cases are reviewed by physicians annually.
1. Maintains general knowledge of all Divisional processes and data elements. Manages all Quality Assurance programs as directed by the Service Line Executive Team.
2. Identifies issues and trends, analyzes data, proposes solutions, keeps statistics and reports to management for performance improvement opportunities. Provides input to identify quality and process improvement opportunities within all Divisional Service Lines.
3. Reviews all Service Line credentialing Processes and works collaboratively with the credentialing team to develop Quality Assurance metrics and benchmarks.
4. Investigates and responds to Quality Assurance inquiries, problems, questions or requests in timely and professional manner to ensure resolution and positive Quality Assurance.
5. Documents appropriate information on computer system based upon department documentation standards. Handles critical workloads and/or department special projects as assigned.
6. Processes assigned reports.
7. Demonstrates ongoing competency skills. Demonstrates above level problem solving skills and decision-making abilities. Demonstrates knowledge of various regulatory agencies.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.