Categories: Allied Health Professionals
Department: Ophthlmlgy Clnc
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
- Graduation from accredited approved two-year (2) program for Ophthalmic Techs,
- One (1) year experience as Ophthalmic Tech, Assistant or equivalent, and/or certification as Ophthalmic Techs by Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology; OR
- High School graduation or equivalent, and one (1) year experience as Ophthalmic Tech, Assistant or equivalent. Certification in hansatome, keratome, visx, ladar, or intralase required.
- Acquires complete patient history. Acquires and records visual functions including acuity, color vision, color comparison, stereo acuity, retinoscopy and wave scan as indicated.
- Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
- Participates with patient screening to determine if refractive error qualifies them as potential candidate for refractive surgery.
- Consents patient, obtains appropriate paperwork, and provides pre- and post-operative instructions. Prepares and escorts patients into surgery suite and into post-op examination room.
- Enters patient data into Laser.
- Performs site and parameter verification with surgeon.
- Calibrates Laser or Intralase on each surgery day.
- Assists with intra-operative pachymetry. Acts as surgery circulator during procedures. Sets up sterile field with required instruments and medication. Calibrates, and sets blade for microkeratome.
- Cleans and autoclaves instruments after procedure.
- Contributes to marketing meetings and provides necessary support data reports.
- Maintains database of laser center patients and candidates.
- Maintains all inventory and supplies, and orders in timely manner (including post-op packs for patients). Trains and assists other ophthalmic staff as needed.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability.