Research Assistant I - Obstetrics & Gynecology - Green Center
Categories: Research & Laboratory Support
Department: OB Gyn Green Center
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Master's degree with major coursework in field of assignment and no experience required.
Bachelor's degree with major coursework in field of assignment and one (1) year research experience at level of Research Technician or equivalent.
Two (2) years college with emphasis in coursework in field of assignment and four (4) years research experience including two (2) years at level of Research Technician or equivalent.
High school graduation or GED and six (6) years research experience to include two (2) years at level of Research Technician or equivalent.
- Performs more difficult scientific and medical research work in science area such as biology, chemistry, physics, or other related scientific field.
- Constructs, assembles, and operates laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Records and evaluates data obtained from work assignments for use in scientific papers.
- Collaborates with supervisor or other research personnel in preparation of scientific papers for publication.
- Reads literature and confers with supervisor concerning procedures and implementation.
- Collects and organizes research data for project reports.
- May plan for, and provide working supervision to, work of Research Technicians or other laboratory personnel of lower grade.
- Provide general lab support for assigned area by making solutions, dishwashing, autoclaving, cleaning, ordering/inventory/stocking supplies and generally ensuring smooth operations in the lab.
- Coordinate activities with other technicians and lab personnel.
- Ensure lab personnel adhere to all biohazard control and laboratory safety protocols.
- Assist with maintenance of lab inventories.
- Assist supervisor and other affiliated researchers, as assigned, with a variety of research projects involving molecular/biochemical approaches and mamalian/bacterial cell culture, including compilation and evaluation of data and other informaton for publications, as requested.
- Assist with special lab management projects at the request of the supervisor, center Director, center Manager or lab Manager, include, but not limited to; organizing, sending reagents to the other institutions, researching, testing equipment, protocols, organizing lab group activities, assembling, oranzing and cleaning equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum of two years laboratory or research-related experience is preferred.
Proficient in basic chemical, molecular, biochemical, and mammalian cell culture techniques.
Basic computing skills, including familiarity with programs for data input or word processing (MS Excel, Word).
Visual concentration and manual dexterity are required.
Well organized and detail oriented.
Ability to work carefully with hazardous chemicals and biohazards.
Must be personable, flexible, possess excellent organizational and written/oral communication skills, be able to multi-task, and take pride in providing exceptional service while working in a team-oriented environment.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.