Research Technician II - Children's Research Institute
Categories: Research & Laboratory Support
Department: Childrens Research Institute
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Bachelor's degree with major coursework in field of assignment and no experience required.
Two (2) years college with emphasis in coursework in field of assignment and two (2) years of laboratory experience at level of Laboratory Technical Assistant or equivalent.
High school graduation or GED and four (4) years laboratory experience to include two (2) years at level of Laboratory Technical Assistant or equivalent.
- Performs routine scientific and medical research work in science area such as biology, chemistry, physics, or other related scientific field.
- Assembles and/or operates various laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Records research data in accordance with prescribed procedures, discussing results with supervisor.
- Assists in collection of data for project reports.
- Reads literature and confers with supervisor concerning implementation of new procedures.
- May plan for, and provide working supervision to, work of laboratory personnel of lower grade engaged in limited phase of research project.
- Perform routine cell sorts n our FACSAria Fusion Cell Sorters.
- Perform regular QC and maintenance of our FACS Aria/Fusion Cell Sorters, FACS Canto RUO LSRF Fortessa Analyzers.
- Assist users with self-run data acquisition and computer-based data analysis.
- Work with a diverse group of people in a busy customer service-oriented environment.
- Lab-related sample processing and data analysis.
- Adhere to and enforce proper safety practices and standard operating procedures (SOPs), as well as general operational policies within the facility.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Preferred Additionall Qualifications:
B.S./B.A. preferably in engineering, math, biological or physical sciences
Strong communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills
Must be able to make independent decisions, process information accurately, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and be organized.
Proficient with both Windows and Macintosh troubleshooting
Prior laboratory and/or flow cytometry experience ideal, but not required; training will be provided
Be able to lift 10 lbs above your head
The Children’s Research Institute at UT Southwestern is seeking a highly motivated individual to join us at our Flow Cytometry Core Facility to help operate and maintain the facility's sorter and analyzer machines, which are employed on a multi-user basis, for projects in several areas, including stem cell and cancer research.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.