Senior Department Systems Engineer- Bioinformatics
Categories: Information Technology
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Bachelor's degree in computer related field and five (5) years experience in field directly related to operating systems and systems administration, including experience working with and maintaining multiple server hosts in a combined environment. Experience with project management phases and methodologies as it
relates to projects and tasks. Certification in at least one relevant operating system or associated technology. May be required to submit to a federal background investigation.
- Works to identify and propose innovative and creative solutions that enhance or increase the efficiency of the services provided by Information Resources to the campus community.
- Performs complex network troubleshooting at the server host level, using associated tools, i.e. network traces.
- Works with operating system security components, both with identifying potential vulnerabilities and remediating said vulnerabilities where applicable.
- Analyzes and remediates complex problems involving server hardware, operating systems, database systems, applications or other related technologies associated with the server host system including troubleshooting hardware and software issues using proficiencies with the proper tools and utilities.
- Works with system users and engineers to make recommendations, receive feedback and test additions and/or enhancements to the server host environment so that the systems and any associated/ hosted applications or virtual environments are updated, tested, developed and implemented as required.
- Proposes policies for server hardware, operating system and associated storage layout and design; works in tandem with scientific and technical community using knowledge of future trends to produce a combined systems solution that is based on user and system engineer needs.
- Installs server hardware, operating systems and associated application upgrades in a manner that compliments the University's computing infrastructure and maintain proper and network integrity.
- Responsible for consulting with end users, application analysts and vendors as a component of leading assigned project efforts including the intial design and development phases, hardware/ software specifications and pricing and the follow on system design, build, configuration testing, go live and project closure tasks.
- Responsible for developing documentation relative to assigned projects and tasks including documentation related to system testing, disaster recovery and routine system administration processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
System installations, upgrades, OS and security patches, system security hardening and intrusion detection, file system management, system hardware and peripheral management, security configuration, customization of user group working environment, troubleshooting, network monitoring, and crash recovery.
Assist users with program compilation, commercial and public domain software installation, and use of HPC tools.
Configure, administer, and troubleshoot desktop, server and storage infrastructures as well as racking, installing, and maintaining systems in a datacenter.
Plan, organize, prioritize and complete assigned tasks and projects in a timely manner.
Communicate task or project status to customers to either set or negotiate expectations.
Market BioHPC services to the scientific community by providing excellent customer service coupled with competent technical support skill.
Participate in developing system administration, security, and network policies, documentation, and tools oriented towards efficient systems management.
Provide cluster support to UTSW researchers including installation and integration of components and the on-going maintenance of High Performance Computing cluster systems.
Lead BioHPC technical efforts in one or more areas of HPC technologies such as job schedulers, high performance interconnects, parallel filesystems, cybersecurity, cluster management, VM infrastructure, networking, performance tuning, support of scientific applications, or data center planning.
Lead group projects to implement and deploy new technologies and services.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.