Software System Specialist - IR System & Operations
Categories: Information Technology
Department: IR Sys & Ops Admin
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
Experience and Education
Assists in design of test jobs and files; performs programming and testing.
Develops efficient programming techniques in machine language for system routines.
Performs documentation and maintains system data sets and catalogs.
Performs program design, generation, testing, and maintenance of specific components of overall system.
Generates proprietary program products from distribution tapes, using assembles, linkage editor, and file copy utility programs.
Analyzes memory dumps when system failures occur and recommends corrective procedures.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Other duties may include:
- This position will be part of a 24/7 On-Site Data Center Support / NOC team.
- Rack and Stack Servers - Software System Specialists will have to install new servers (Dell, HP or IBM systems) into the existing racks, decom servers and repurpose servers as needed.
- Configure, monitor, and support all existing and any new Windows 2003/2008/2012/future OS on physical servers and/or virtual servers.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve Windows Server hardware, software, system, and/or network component based issues and successfully resolve in a timely manner.
- Using established processes and procedures to diagnose problem, and repairs or replaces defective components to resolves hardware issues.
- Coordinate with vendors and company personnel to facilitate purchases.
- Answer and resolve service now tickets in a timely manner.
- Be part of on call NOC rotation schedule to provide after normal business hours remote / escalation support
- NOC duties / Provide ¿Hands & Eyes" Support to the other internal Technical Teams. Check the status of a server, monitor alerts, take appropriate actions per procedure including escalating to higher level support and/or application, etc.
- Assist with change management tasks during early morning / after normal work hours at least 1-2 times per month.
- Documentation / Labeling / logging and updating tickets ¿ Software System Specialist will be required to create and follow procedures, logging, updating and closing trouble tickets, carting and maintaining technical documents and procedures
- Site Escort - The Tech will also be required to meet and escort visitors or other vendors to the data center floor
- Assist in the asset management process
- Work on problems/projects of moderately complex scope
- Exercise independent judgment within defined practices and procedures to determine appropriate action, act as an informed team member providing analysis of information
- Follow established guidelines and interpret policies
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Able to lift up to 40+ pounds of technical equipment
- STRONG organizational skills, excellent communication skills and professionalism are a must. Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks under pressure, with frequently changing assignments or priorities on short notice
- Knowledge of Dell OpenManage Essentials - Plus
- Familiar with networking concepts
- Experience in a mixed OS (Windows and *nix) server environment is preferred
- Strong Windows Active Directory management and administration experience is preferred
- Strong IP based connectivity and IP based routing experience is preferred
- Willing to submit to a federal background test
- Years of experience: 3-7 years
- IT Certifications are a plus
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.