Surgery Scheduler - Surgery - GI Clinic Kronos
Categories: Administrative / Clerical Support
Department: Surgery-GI Clinic
Full/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
High school diploma or equivalent with five (5) years of experience working in a medical office environment; prefer at least one (1) year experience in surgery scheduling. Exposure and working knowledge of physician billing, medical collections, coding and surgery scheduling.
- Schedules patient surgical procedures at various entities (University Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgery Centers) in accordance with established protocols; acquires the appropriate information and orders from the surgeon.
- Provides pre-certification of all procedures to ensure coverage and proper billing procedures;and/or may obtain insurance pre- certification from the referring physician's office and contacts insurance carriers for confirmation;advises clinic and/or patient on co-payment or co-insurance responsibility.
- May be responsible for accurately entering scheduling, insurance and registration information into the appropriate system(s).
- Maintains and monitors surgical block time to keep utilization at a high standard; advises surgeon of unused time and releases the unused time to prevent loss of department's surgical block time.
- Request and secure tissue from Tissue Bank/Transplant Services working with Faculty and OR to ensure delivery of the requested tissue at the time of surgery to avoid delay or cancellation of surgery.
- Requests and/or obtains the ordered materials and/or equipment needed for surgery and confirms with the surgeon before surgery in order to avoid delay or cancellation of surgery.
- May research claims on payment denials from third party carriers for pre-certified procedures.
- Acts as liaison with other departmental staff when needed for the coordination of multiple and/or special procedures.
- Adheres to patient privacy act HIPAA and confidentiality policy at all times.
- Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.