Experience and Education
One year experience as Monitor Tech or related field.
High school diploma or equivalent. Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
Completion of Basic EKG course.
Current BLS from the American Heart Association
1. Initiates, maintains, troubleshoots and discontinues electrodes, leads, and transmitters as requested. Selects appropriate lead for monitoring. Assesses quality of tracing as compared to baseline, lack of electrical interference and freedom of artifact.
2. Interprets EKG strips including rate, rhythm, PR, QRS and QT intervals. Records/interprets strips on all patients at the beginning of each shift to establish a baseline and then as needed for changes or significant events. Does not discharge patient from system until all essential data has been printed and obtains Charge Nurse approval.
3. Keeps telemetry log current. Maintains monitoring equipment and supplies with consideration for cost containment. Demonstrates ability to safely and accurately use all equipment and troubleshoot Telemetry Monitoring Station. Follows infection control and safety policies and procedures.
4. Reports abnormal and critical arrhythmias to RN immediately. Assists with providing complete documentation of strips during resuscitation. Gives report to oncoming shift: rhythm, rate, and any significant changes noted during the current shift.
5. Provides continuous monitoring and obtains coverage when leaving the area. Monitors are never left unattended.
6. Successfully pass the EKG exam (90% or greater) administered by the clinical educator.
7. Assumes accountability for all actions in the workplace. Reports errors promptly.
8. Orients new staff and students to work areas. Collaborates with other nursing staff and hospital employees to create an environment that is conducive to the retention of qualified personnel.
9. Attends at least 80% of scheduled staff meetings and 100% of mandatory educational sessions.
10. Utilizes downtime to assist others and/or to provide additional assistance as requested.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.