UT Southwestern Medical Center’s Department of Neurological Surgery is a recognized leader in comprehensive management of brain and spine conditions, disorders, and injuries. U.S. News & World Report ranks our neurosurgery care among the top in the nation and the highest in North Texas.
Our Neurological Surgery Program is led by world-renowned experts in cerebrovascular, tumor, and functional neurosurgery. At UT Southwestern, neurosurgeons collaborate with nonsurgical specialists in neurology, neuro-oncology, interventional radiology, pathology, neurocritical care, and physical medicine and rehabilitation. By combining the talents of our surgeons with nonsurgical specialists and researchers, we offer access to the latest innovative treatments in one of the most rapidly advancing fields of medicine.
Our Neurosurgery Advanced Practice Provider team is growing! The Advanced Practice Provider in this position will provide care to our neurosurgery patients in the ICU and Acute Care floors. This is an exclusively inpatient role with no clinic or operating room responsibilities. Previous experience working in an academic medical center preferred.
Experience and Education
Master’s degree or higher Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician (ARC-PA) accredited Physician Assistant program.
Certification by the National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) Certification required.
Licensed by the Texas Physician Assistant Board. Current applicable American Heart Association Life Support certification(s) based on UT Southwestern policy for Advanced Practice Providers.
Experience working with residents and/or fellows strongly preferred. Experience in critical care, neurosurgery or neurology preferred but not required.
1. Conducts and documents comprehensive initial and ongoing physical examinations based on age and diagnosis, including psychological status.
2. Synthesizes data and utilizes evidence to develop, implement, and evaluate the patient plan of care, including ordering and interpreting laboratory, radiology, and other diagnostic studies/results.
3. Demonstrates proficiency in technical/procedural skills, as appropriate based on specialty and training.
4. Provides relevant management, referrals, counseling, and education to patients, families and caregivers related to current care and preventive health measures.
5. Facilitates/participates in quality related initiatives through planned group processes, workshops, seminars, and staff meetings, to improve clinical and system practice performance.
6. Collaborates in research projects and protocols; and routinely applies evidence based best practices to patient care.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities of Position
• Accuracy and ability to exercise considerable judgment.
• Ability to maintain current customer service, clinical, and technical skills.
• Ability to identify opportunities and provide suggestions for improvements in departmental policy, procedures, and protocols.
• Proficient use of EMR in the delivery of care
• Work is performed primarily in a clinical environment. The incumbent may be exposed to body fluids and infectious diseases.
• Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents in lieu of stated minimums require prior approval of Vice President for Human Resources Administration or his/her designee.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.