A full-time Grants & Contracts Specialist position is immediately available for a candidate to support and advance exciting research in the newly merged Lyda Hill Department of Bioinformatics and Cecil H. and Ida Green Comprehensive Center for Molecular, Computational, and Systems Biology (https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/departments/bioinformatics/). The position will be ideal for a candidate who has a background in research and/or research administration at a university or primarily undergraduate institution (PUI), and is interested further broadening their expertise at a leading academic medical center. The successful candidate will have experience with some or all of the following: advising faculty on sponsor requirements and merit review processes; coordinating faculty groups for complex proposal submission; editing grant proposal documents; liaising with subrecipient organizations; networking with sponsor organizations; finding appropriate funding opportunities.
Experience with building departmental grant activity reports, creating systems for monitoring proposal/award lifecycles, and managing large, complex proposals is a plus. An enthusiastic, optimistic person, willing to “go the extra mile” and take initiative to independently problem-solve will be a great fit with our growing team. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume with their online application.
Opportunities are available for training, mentoring and career growth. While this position will be primarily responsible for pre-award and non-financial, post-award grant management, the Department provides a dynamic, intellectually stimulating environment and opportunities to engage with various strategic initiatives and other job duties in related domains.
Experience and Education
Bachelor's degree in business administration, public administration, or related field, and two (2) years experience in business or public administration with emphasis on customer service in financial or contracting position. Applicants without the stated degree, but with significant additional professional applicable experience may be considered in lieu of education requirement.
- Provides funding opportunity information to potential applicants by reading newsletters and announcements, searching directories and funding files, identifying and matching sponsor with researcher, and mailing out information.
- Provides guidance to researchers for proposal development and submission by interpreting sponsor and university announcements and guidelines on application preparation and content by reveiwing proposals for completeness and adherence to guidelines and mailing out proposals in timely manner.
- Provides grants management support to researchers by negotiating and processing awards, interpreting award conditions, obtaining approvals for award changes, and obtaining required reports.
- Drafts and negotiates contracts with various agencies (state and federal government, private organizations), pharmaceutical companies, and biotechnology companies to achieve agreements satisfactory to all parties, following state laws and Board of Regents' guidelines.
- Provides guidance and assistance to researchers as necessary for implementation and negotiation of research contracts, including sponsored research agreements and material transfer agreements.
- Monitors status of contracts for completion.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.