Position Summary & Preferred qualifications/experience:
The Inpatient Advanced Heart Failure/ General Cardiology Advanced Practice Provider (APP) position will provide cross-coverage to the general cardiology and advanced heart failure inpatient APP teams, cross-cover for the general cardiology and advanced heart failure clinics, such as patient calls when the clinics are closed, and may admit to the general cardiology or advanced heart failure services. They will be the first call provider for the APP cardiology and advanced heart failure services.
Experience and Education
Master’s degree or higher in nursing, documentation of completion of accredited Advanced Practice Education Program. Graduate education and related Texas Board of Nursing authorization must be consistent with clinical practice area and patient population.
Licensure as Advanced Practice Registered Nurse by Texas State Board of Nursing. Authorization for prescriptive authority by the Texas Board of Nursing. Current applicable American Heart Association Life Support certification(s) and/or American Red Cross certification(s) based on UT Southwestern policy for Advanced Practice Providers. Certification as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner by a national certification organization recognized by the Texas Board of Nursing.
One-year relevant clinical experience preferred but will consider motivated new graduates with relevant work or clinical rotation experience.
1. Conducts and documents comprehensive initial and ongoing physical examinations based on age and diagnosis, including psychological status.
2. Synthesizes data and utilizes evidence to develop, implement, and evaluate the patient plan of care, including ordering and interpreting laboratory, radiology, and other diagnostic studies/results.
3. Demonstrates proficiency in technical/procedural skills, as appropriate based on specialty and training.
4. Provides relevant management, referrals, counseling, and education to patients, families and caregivers related to current care and preventive health measures.
5. Facilitates/participates in quality related initiatives through planned group processes, workshops, seminars, and staff meetings, to improve clinical and system practice performance.
6. Collaborates in research projects and protocols; and routinely applies evidence based best practices to patient care.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities of Position
• Accuracy and ability to exercise considerable judgment.
• Ability to maintain current customer service, clinical, and technical skills.
• Ability to identify opportunities and provide suggestions for improvements in departmental policy, procedures, and protocols.
• Proficient use of EMR in the delivery of care
• Work is performed primarily in a clinical environment. The incumbent may be exposed to body fluids and infectious diseases.
• Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents in lieu of stated minimums require prior approval of Vice President for Human Resources Administration or his/her designee.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.