Administrative Associate, HIM
Why UT Southwestern?
With over 75 years of excellence in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, UT Southwestern is committed to excellence, innovation, teamwork, and compassion. As a world-renowned medical and research center, we strive to provide the best possible care, resources, and benefits for our valued employees. Ranked as the #1 hospital in Dallas-Fort Worth for the fifth consecutive year, we invite you to continue your healthcare career with us at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital. You’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, and consistent opportunities for learning and advancement into leadership roles.
All full-time employees will have a robust benefits package including employer paid medical insurance. Children and family medical insurance plans are available at a cost to the employee.
To learn more about the benefits UT Southwestern offers visit https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/employees/hr-resources/.
The Health Information Management (HIM) department is a high-profile department within the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. We boast a large 104-member department with supporting 2 hospitals and 50+ clinics and growing. Our team is growing! We currently have an Administrative Associate, HIM job opportunity. The incumbent works under direction to assist with management of administrative and/or business functions of department, division, or unit.
- Relieves supervisor of various internal administrative duties, which require thorough understanding of, and adherence to functions, programs, and policies of unit and university. Reviews department policy manuals periodically to update and institute changes as necessary. May provide comprehensive administrative support to Chairman, Vice Chairman, Director, Department Manager, or another upper-level administrator.
- Monitors and maintains unit’s budget; provides input to supervisor; prepares and submits various budgetary reports; assists supervisor with annual budget process. May have delegated approval authority for all dollar level expenditures for designated entity; coordinates process for items requiring Chair level approval, and/or has delegated approval authority for these items.
- Coordinates supervisor’s schedule makes travel arrangements, plans meeting itineraries, etc. for supervisor or outside visitors.
- Coordinates details of faculty and staff recruitment for division. As directed by supervisor or unit head, initiates personnel action documents, including appointment, termination, and/or salary/title changes. Coordinates appointment process for foreign nationals.
- Pre-screens staff applicants; coordinates interview process for supervisor and/or unit head. Conducts department/division orientation for administrative and technical staff and training of administrative staff.
- Coordinates scheduling and use of department/division facilities and assets, including making arrangements for moves and/or renovations, maintaining accurate space records, recommending and/or approving purchase of equipment and furniture, and maintaining inventory files.
- Approves vacation and sick leave transactions; interprets V/SL policies for unit’s personnel.
- Prepares or coordinates preparation of complex reports requiring significant contact with other departments and outside organizations.
- Provides professional support for special projects, which may include editorial and administrative support for manuscripts and abstracts for publication; prepares materials for oral and/or written presentations; coordinates and prepares materials for courses, meetings, and conferences; performs Library and Internet research. May provide assistance in preparing grants and contracts, which may include assistance with budget preparation and/or oversight.
- Maintains sub-ledgers and ledgers for various accounts, including reviewing expenditures and encumbrances, reconciling accounts, and ensuring appropriate use of funds.
- May provide working supervision for staff of lower rank.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Four (4) years related work experience required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Work requires knowledge of computers, office equipment, and other administrative tasks (*Testing may be required).
- Work requires ability to monitor and maintain budget.
- Work requires ability to ensure adherence to all policies and procedures of university, such as FLSA, salary guidelines, accounting regulations, and internal controls policy.
- Work requires ability to coordinate and work independently on projects.
- Work requires ability to work with confidential information on daily basis.
The following is the acronym, "PACT", and is fundamental to all non-clinical positions at UT Southwestern Medical Center:
- P-Problem Solving: Employees take ownership in solving problems effectively, efficiently, and to the satisfaction of customers, or managers. They show initiative in addressing areas of concern before they become problems.
- A-Ability, Attitude and Accountability: Employees exhibit ability to perform their job and conduct themselves in a professional and positive manner reflecting a professional environment readily assuming obligations in a dependable and reliable manner.
- C-Communication, Contribution, and Collaboration: Who are our Customers? Anyone who requests our help, needs our work product, or receives our services. Employees focus on customer service with creative solutions while improving the customer experience through clear, courteous, and timely delivery and communication. Sharing ideas with others helps expand our contribution to department goals.
- T-Teamwork: Employees work to contribute to the department’s success by supporting co-workers, promoting excellence in work product and customer service, and in maintaining a satisfying, caring environment for each other.
- Work is performed primarily in general office area.
Compliance with the COVID-19 vaccine mandate enforced by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) is a requirement for this position. Federal law requires individuals holding this position to be fully vaccinated or have an approved exemption for certain medical, disability, or religious reasons. Individuals who do not meet CMS vaccination requirements are not eligible and should not apply for this position but are encouraged to apply for other non-healthcare positions at UT Southwestern for which they qualify.
For COVID-19 vaccine information, applicants should visit https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/covid-19/work-on-campus/
To learn more about the benefits UT Southwestern offers, visit https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/employees/hr-resources/
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information. UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.