UT Southwestern has an opening within the Department Dermatology for a Billing Specialist I. Job responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Utilize Epic Resolute to review and clear charges for the Dermatology Clinic.
- Read the progress notes and or procedure results and confirm with Providers to make the necessary changes to the CPT code(s).
- Diagnosis code(s) and modifiers (if applicable).
- Must be familiar with the Medicare and Medicaid teaching physician documentation billing rules.
- Communicates billing issues with Supervisor.
High School diploma or equivalent and one (1) year medical billing or collections experience. Must demonstrate the ability to perform manual charge entry, release clean claim encounters within charge review work queues, investigate and resolve basic coding and registration claim edits and make calls to obtain authorizations. Coding certifications (CPC, CPMA, CMC, ART, RRA, RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCA) and/or degrees (associate level, bachelor level, master level) preferred and may be considered in lieu of experience.
- Performs manual charge entry for all non-EpicCare and non-automated sites of services. This includes E&M visits and procedures across several centralized service lines. This position requires periodic communication with providers.
- Releases ambulatory and inpatient clean charges from charge review work queues.
- Investigates and resolves basic coding and registration claim edits and credits.
- Periodically assists in obtaining insurance authorizations and accurately maintaining the authorization records, communicate patient balance and patient-responsibility amounts to clinics and/or patient/families, responding to requests for information. Attend coding and billing in-services to stay current on changes; attend other meetings and training as assigned.
- Perform monthly charge reconciliation.
- Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: (a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; (b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; (c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing, or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or (d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing, or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Work requires working knowledge of Epic Resolute, EpicCare, and Epic CPOE
- Work requires working knowledge of MS Excel.
- Work requires ability to analyze problems, develop solutions, and implement new procedures.
- Work requires ability to prioritize large volumes of work.
- Work requires good communication skills.
Work is performed primarily in general office/clinic area.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.