Why UT Southwestern?
With over 75 years of excellence in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, UT Southwestern is committed to excellence, innovation, teamwork, and compassion. As a world-renowned medical and research center, we strive to provide the best possible care, resources, and benefits for our valued employees.
- Graduate of a Master’s degree or higher Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician (ARC-PA) accredited Physician Assistant program. OR
- Master’s degree or higher in nursing, documentation of completion of accredited Advanced Practice Education Program. Graduate education and related Texas Board of Nursing authorization must be consistent with clinical practice area and patient population.
Licensure and Certification
- Certification by the National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) Certification required. Licensed by the Texas Physician Assistant Board. Current applicable American Heart Association Life Support certification(s) based on UT Southwestern policy for Advanced Practice Providers. OR
- Licensure as Advanced Practice Registered Nurse by Texas State Board of Nursing. Authorization for prescriptive authority by the Texas Board of Nursing. Current applicable American Heart Association or American Red Cross Life Support certification(s) based on UT Southwestern policy for Advanced Practice Providers. Acute Care certification required.
- One year relevant APP experience strongly preferred.
- Conducts and documents comprehensive initial and ongoing physical examinations based on age and diagnosis, including psychological status.
- Synthesizes data and utilizes evidence to develop, implement, and evaluate the patient plan of care, including ordering and interpreting laboratory, radiology, and other diagnostic studies/results.
- Demonstrates proficiency in technical/procedural skills, as appropriate and based on specialty and training.
- Provides relevant management, referrals, counseling, and education to patients, families, and caregivers related to current care and preventive health measures.
- Facilitates/participates in quality related initiatives and/or clinical research protocols through planned group processes, workshops, seminars, and staff meetings, to improve clinical and system practice performance.
- Collaborates in research projects and protocols; and routinely applies evidence based best practices to patient care
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Accuracy and ability to exercise considerable judgment.
- Ability to maintain current customer service, clinical, and technical skills.
- Ability to identify opportunities and provide suggestions for improvements in departmental policy, procedures, and protocols.
- Proficient use of EMR in the delivery of care.
Work is performed primarily in a clinical environment. The incumbent may be exposed to body fluids and infectious diseases.
Compliance with the COVID-19 vaccine mandate enforced by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) is a requirement for this position. Federal law requires individuals holding this position to be fully vaccinated or have an approved exemption for certain medical, disability, or religious reasons. Individuals who do not meet CMS vaccination requirements are not eligible and should not apply for this position but are encouraged to apply for other non-healthcare positions at UT Southwestern for which they qualify.
To learn more about the benefits UT Southwestern offers visit:
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information. UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.