Mental Health Technician Psychiatry Days 7A-7P 36 hours per week
Why UT Southwestern? With over 75 years of excellence in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, UT Southwestern is committed to excellence, innovation, teamwork, and compassion. As a world-renowned medical and research center, we strive to provide the best possible care, resources, and benefits for our valued employees. Ranked as the #1 hospital in Dallas-Fort Worth for the sixth consecutive year, we invite you to continue your healthcare career with us at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital. You’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, and consistent opportunities for learning and advancement into leadership roles. The Department of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center has provided high-quality mental health and substance abuse services for adults since 1943.
Our Psych Mental Health Technician's primary responsibility is to provide care and assistance to patients with mental health issues. Their tasks mainly revolve around monitoring vital signs, assisting during therapy sessions, and assessing patient progress and behavior.
- Collects data including intake and output, weight, temperature, pulse, respirations, and blood pressure. Recognizes and reports values outside normal parameters to nurse. Demonstrates awareness of age-specific considerations in gathering assessments.
- Reports any changes in patient's condition or behavior to nurse. Seeks assistance and guidance as needed to ensure patient care is delivered in safe, high quality, and effective manner.
- Responds to patient requests for assistance. • Performs basic hygiene care for assigned patients in accordance with Department of Nursing policies and procedures. Checks skin carefully during bath and reports anything abnormal to nurse.
- Makes frequent patient rounds to comfort, position, and provide toileting and hygiene care.
- Documents patient information.
- Transfers patients safely and in accordance with Department of Nursing policies and procedures with concern for age-specific considerations. Ensures patient is outfitted in robe and/or blankets and slippers.
- Welcomes new patient and patient's family. Alerts nurse of issues regarding patient and/or patient's family.
- Orients new staff and students to work areas.
- Assists others and/or provides additional amenities to patients and/or patients' families as needed. Attends at least 80% of scheduled staff meetings and 100% of mandatory educational sessions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Current American Heart Association BLS is required.
- One year acute care inpatient hospital experience OR CNA with training from an accredited training program OR Completed the first semester of nursing clinicals.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
Compliance with the COVID-19 vaccine mandate enforced by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) is a requirement for this position. Federal law requires individuals holding this position to be fully vaccinated or have an approved exemption for certain medical, disability, or religious reasons. Individuals who do not meet CMS vaccination requirements are not eligible and should not apply for this position but are encouraged to apply for other non-healthcare positions at UT Southwestern for which they qualify.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information.
For COVID-19 vaccine information, applicants should visit https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/covid-19/work-on-campus/
To learn more about the benefits UT Southwestern offers, visit https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/employees/hr-resources/
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. As an equal opportunity employer, UT Southwestern prohibits unlawful discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or veteran status. To learn more, please visit: https://jobs.utsouthwestern.edu/why-work-here/diversity-inclusion