Radiologic/X-Ray Technologist, Inpatient, Part Time
Location Type: On-site
Job Number: 694591
Category: Allied Health
Experience and Education
American Registry of Radiologic Technologists – ARRT (R) required. Licensed by Texas Medical Board (TMB) as a Medical Radiologic Technologist. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross (ARC) by first day of employment is required. Associates degree in Radiologic Sciences or Graduate from AMA approved school.
Shift: Fri-Sun, 7PM-7:30AM
1. Review physician orders for accuracy, diagnosis, and applicability to select Diagnostic exam. Communicate with Radiologists to discuss stat/urgent findings. If modification of a diagnostic protocol is necessary consult with radiologist to determine appropriate diagnostic exam, and document changes as appropriate in electronic health record. Ensure other resources such as nursing, anesthesia, and scheduling are in order.
2. Interviews patient (two patient identifier) and obtains medical history pertaining to prescribed exam’s clinical criteria. Explains procedure and instructs patient on necessary requirements needed to provide diagnostic images. Answers questions and screens patients regarding the administration of oral and IV contrast. Observes patients for adverse reactions. Able to activate the organizations emergency codes.
3. Assists the physician as needed in performing diagnostic procedures. Ensures that images and information are properly documented with patient identification data and appropriate labeling in the electronic health record. Utilizes technical knowledge and skills to perform procedures accurately and in a timely manner in accordance with age specific criteria.
4. Completes exam charges and image documentation in a timely manner. Performs diagnostic exams ensuring that patient meets radiation safety requirements to ALARA principles. Assist patient in dressing for exam and attends to patient's physical well-being while transporting to and from exam room and positioning for exam. Instructs/communicates with patient and/or patient's family (as appropriate) regarding the tests to be performed and evaluates the patient's ability to tolerate.
5. Performs QC testing and reports problems with Diagnostic system and workstations to the service engineer/biomed, with additional correspondence sent to the physicist and imaging leadership.
6. Maintains various quality control and radiation safety compliance including (ex. daily, monthly, yearly QC) and archives. Must be able to lift 40-50lbs.
7. Responds to inquiries/calls/emails in a timely and professional manner. Utilizes the organizational culture behaviors to include PACT and AIDET. Actively participates in codes and rapid responses.
8. Communicates shift hand off regarding workflow issues with equipment or pending exams with oncoming staff. Engages in equitable distribution of departmental workloads.
9. Actively participates in providing orientation and training for new hires and students ensuring that procedures are performed according to set standards. Functions in the department as a part of an interdisciplinary team, and collaborates in the care and service delivery process of patient care through effective communication with other service lines.
10. Prioritizes exams with scheduling exams to ensure smooth workflow, minimize wait times and address stat requests.
11. Adheres to hospital policies, procedures, competencies, regulatory compliance, infection control, hospital education, new yearly metrics/department goals, patient satisfaction, and fiscally responsible with regards to equipment, supplies scheduling, overtime, etc.
12. Maintains patient confidentiality (HIPAA) and ensures that all processes and procedures are maintained to secure and protect all workstations in all work areas.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Work is performed primarily in a hospital or hospital clinic environment.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT
Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
(Eligibility varies by employment status)
Explore the full range of opportunities we offer within our Allied Health units
As a Respiratory Therapist at UT Southwestern, you’ll discover opportunities that put you on the leading edge of your chosen field – extending your impact and options beyond trauma and COPD cases to include cystic fibrosis and lung, heart, kidney, and liver transplant patients as well. The experience will enlighten and challenge you like no other and raise your sense of accomplishment to a new level every day.
Working with our transplant patients, you’ll have remarkable opportunities to deliver care before, during, and after transplant – along with ongoing opportunities to study or participate in clinical trials exploring advances in respiratory care.
At the same time, you’ll enjoy a supportive, family atmosphere where your contributions will be respected and recognized. You’ll also have consistent opportunities for learning and advancement into leadership roles, and – of course – you’ll participate in UT Southwestern’s incredible benefits package.
At UT Southwestern Medical Center, pharmacists are essential to helping improve the overall care of our patients. That’s because we ask you to practice at the very highest levels, learning and integrating the newest procedures, therapies, and medications on a daily basis. It’s a standard of excellence you’ll find only in a leading academic medical center, where extraordinary care goes hand in hand with extraordinary careers.
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy an exceptional benefits package (including pension and retirement plans), extensive opportunities for ongoing learning and professional growth – including our Pharmacy Practice Residency Program – and a truly collaborative, cross-disciplinary team environment in which you’ll play a key role in defining the delivery of exceptional care to our patients.
What’s your vision for an exceptional imaging career? At UT Southwestern, you’ll discover full access to new, state-of-the-art technologies that ensure you’ll practice at the forefront of your field – plus ongoing training and extensive resources to make sure that every day offers opportunities to learn and grow.
You’ll be engaged in truly supportive, collaborative relationships with our outstanding physicians and nurses. And you’ll enjoy generous benefits to help you build a full life outside of work. But in the end, it comes down to the diversity and acuity levels of the patients you encounter. People come to UT Southwestern because we’re continually pushing the boundaries of what’s possible – and delivering patient outcomes that can be found at only a few other places. Are you ready for this kind of career journey?
UT Southwestern’s reputation as a leading academic medical center and research institution extends through our acclaimed PT and OT services. With acute care therapy gyms and a Safe Patient Handling Program, we’re uniquely qualified to provide expert therapeutic care for medically complex patients in support of a wide range of specialty areas, both on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
As a result, PTs and OTs like yourself can enjoy a rewarding career experience that parallels the extraordinary standards of care we provide. Our continued evolution as an academic medical center translates into more ongoing training and professional development opportunities for you. That might include onsite continuing education or participation in our Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. Pair this with an exceptional UT Southwestern benefits package and you’ll find that you can enjoy a fulfilling career as well as a robust and engaging lifestyle.