Ultrasound Sonographer, Inpatient, Nights
Location Type: On-site
Job Number: 2300009J
Category: Allied Health
Ultrasound Sonographer, $10K Bonus
Experience and Education
Two (2) years’ experience in ultrasound preferred. Associates Degree in Ultrasound Technology or Graduate of Accredited Sonography Program. Bachelor's degree preferred. American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS), Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT), and Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross (ARC) by first day of employment is required. In the event that a sonographer is hired without RVT certification, they must obtain RVT certification within 6 months of hire date or can be terminated from their position.
Shift: Thu-Sun, 9PM-7:30AM w/on call
1. Maintains work area in a clean and orderly condition and ensures that it is properly supplied for procedures. Demonstrates conscious effort to be good stewards of hospital resources to ensure facility financial goals are met. Checks equipment and accessories to ensure proper working order and notifies appropriate personnel for repairs. Responds to inquiries/calls regarding procedures in a timely manner. Communicates problems on shift with equipment or pending exams with appropriate staff. Engages in equitable distribution of departmental workloads. Participates in a learning experience with new employees and students. Performs quality control on assigned equipment and reports issues timely. Attends departmental and facility meetings/classes. Completes required courses/modules on time. Performs pertinent duties in the best interest of patients, personnel and the facility as assigned. Adheres to departmental time, attendance and tardiness guidelines. Wears employee ID and follows dress code policy. As appropriate, may assume supervisory responsibilities in the absence of the designated supervisor. Participates in all regulatory compliance activities.
2. Patient Interaction: Verifies the patient’s identification using two patient identifier as outlined in the hospital policies. Communicates with patients clearly and in a professional manner. Ensures proper patient preparation, verifies screening protocols, and answers questions. Evaluates patient’s history and symptoms for the procedures clinical criteria. Instructs/communicates with patient and/or patients family (as appropriate) regarding the tests to be performed and assesses the patients ability to tolerate exam. Must demonstrate and maintain current knowledge, continued education and skills to provide appropriate care for the following age groups (specific to department): newborn, pediatric, young adult, adult and geriatric.
3. Exam Performance: Performs color duplex imaging procedures to include carotid, extremity venous and arterial studies, abdominal Doppler, small parts, OB/GYN, general abdominal/body or other tests as assigned. Performs non-invasive imaging evaluation of arteries and veins by Doppler and plethysmographic techniques. Verifies the requisition/chart for valid written order, priority date, ordering comments, physician’s notes, precautions and patient consent forms. Performs high quality US examinations according to exam protocol in a timely manner. Assists the physician as needed in performing additional imaging or biopsy procedures. Ensures that images and records are properly completed with patient identification data and appropriate labeling. Utilizes technical knowledge and skills to perform procedures accurately and in a timely manner in accordance with age specific criteria. Completes exam charges and image documentation and forwards to radiologist in a timely manner. Administers contrast material as appropriate, observes patients for adverse reactions.
4. Job Performance May Include: Monitors and trains students in all areas of current competencies. Assists in the orientation and training of new staff. Participates in the modality specific QA/QC program and ensures compliance with regulations. Participates in various accreditation processes as directed.
5. Organizes and participates in conferences, seminars, and technical meetings.
6. Arranges for maintenance and repair of equipment following maintenance contract to eliminate or decrease down time of equipment.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Work is performed primarily in a hospital or hospital clinic environment.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT
Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
(Eligibility varies by employment status)
Explore the full range of opportunities we offer within our Allied Health units
As a Respiratory Therapist at UT Southwestern, you’ll discover opportunities that put you on the leading edge of your chosen field – extending your impact and options beyond trauma and COPD cases to include cystic fibrosis and lung, heart, kidney, and liver transplant patients as well. The experience will enlighten and challenge you like no other and raise your sense of accomplishment to a new level every day.
Working with our transplant patients, you’ll have remarkable opportunities to deliver care before, during, and after transplant – along with ongoing opportunities to study or participate in clinical trials exploring advances in respiratory care.
At the same time, you’ll enjoy a supportive, family atmosphere where your contributions will be respected and recognized. You’ll also have consistent opportunities for learning and advancement into leadership roles, and – of course – you’ll participate in UT Southwestern’s incredible benefits package.
At UT Southwestern Medical Center, pharmacists are essential to helping improve the overall care of our patients. That’s because we ask you to practice at the very highest levels, learning and integrating the newest procedures, therapies, and medications on a daily basis. It’s a standard of excellence you’ll find only in a leading academic medical center, where extraordinary care goes hand in hand with extraordinary careers.
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy an exceptional benefits package (including pension and retirement plans), extensive opportunities for ongoing learning and professional growth – including our Pharmacy Practice Residency Program – and a truly collaborative, cross-disciplinary team environment in which you’ll play a key role in defining the delivery of exceptional care to our patients.
What’s your vision for an exceptional imaging career? At UT Southwestern, you’ll discover full access to new, state-of-the-art technologies that ensure you’ll practice at the forefront of your field – plus ongoing training and extensive resources to make sure that every day offers opportunities to learn and grow.
You’ll be engaged in truly supportive, collaborative relationships with our outstanding physicians and nurses. And you’ll enjoy generous benefits to help you build a full life outside of work. But in the end, it comes down to the diversity and acuity levels of the patients you encounter. People come to UT Southwestern because we’re continually pushing the boundaries of what’s possible – and delivering patient outcomes that can be found at only a few other places. Are you ready for this kind of career journey?
UT Southwestern’s reputation as a leading academic medical center and research institution extends through our acclaimed PT and OT services. With acute care therapy gyms and a Safe Patient Handling Program, we’re uniquely qualified to provide expert therapeutic care for medically complex patients in support of a wide range of specialty areas, both on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
As a result, PTs and OTs like yourself can enjoy a rewarding career experience that parallels the extraordinary standards of care we provide. Our continued evolution as an academic medical center translates into more ongoing training and professional development opportunities for you. That might include onsite continuing education or participation in our Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. Pair this with an exceptional UT Southwestern benefits package and you’ll find that you can enjoy a fulfilling career as well as a robust and engaging lifestyle.