Why join UT Southwestern’s Surgery Department?
The Department of Surgery at UT Southwestern consists of nine divisions and administers a multidisciplinary program providing clinical care and educating residents and students. The department’s vision is to be the preeminent academic Department of Surgery in the world. The mission for the Department of Surgery will deliver high-value surgical care in diverse clinical settings that serve the needs of the patients, academic mission, and community stakeholders. The department will develop innovative patient-centered research programs that will create new knowledge, while fostering the investigative skills of the faculty, trainees, and staff.
The Levi Lab in the Burn, Trauma, Acute and Critical Care Surgery division in the Department of Surgery has an opening for a Research Scientist to join the team. The Levi Lab’s mission is to improve the lives of people living with skin and musculoskeletal diseases through rigorous science and compassion. Current projects in the Levi Lab are related to tissue fibrosis, repair and regeneration in tendon, muscle, and bone. The lab integrates multi-omics-based approaches in the fields of musculoskeletal development, homeostasis, repair, and regeneration. The lab uses transgenic animal models, combined with bioinformatic approaches to understand the mesenchymal-immune cell interactions which occur within the stem cell niche under physiological conditions, and strives to understand how these divergent signaling mechanisms will hopefully help guide future therapeutic strategies to promote faithful repair of damaged tissue.
The Research Scientist will support ongoing bench and animal work within the lab related to tendon injury/fibrosis, muscle injury/fibrosis or bone/tendon/muscle regeneration. The ideal candidate should be highly detail oriented and have strong collaborative approach. Training will be provided on many in lab techniques, but previous experience working with mice and some molecular techniques is highly preferred.
· Routine molecular bench work combined with use of animal models.
o Animal handling, injections, surgeries, and sample collection
· Downstream processing.
o Histology, immunofluorescent stain and confocal imaging, flow cytometry, cell culture, single cell, and bulk RNA sequencing
Experience and Education
· Ph.D. degree with major coursework in field of assignment and five (5) years research experience in field of assignment, including at least two (2) years at level of Senior Research Associate or equivalent. or
· Master’s degree with major coursework in field of assignment and seven (7) years research experience in field of assignment, including at least three (3) years at level of Senior Research Associate or equivalent. or
· Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in field of assignment and nine (9) years research experience in field of assignment, including at least four (4) years at level of Senior Research Associate or equivalent.
· Plans, organizes, coordinates, directs, and personally participates in assigned scientific or medical research projects.
· Selects or assists in selection of key research personnel.
· Determines specific goals or objectives to be attained and assigns and reviews work of subordinates.
· Plans experimental protocols.
· Reviews and analyzes resulting research data.
· Revises techniques or approaches to work problems as indicated necessary by research data.
· Compiles, writes, and submits research results to supervisor.
· Prepares or assists in preparation of research papers, reports, and abstracts for publication as one of co-authors.
· Designs, develops, or adapts equipment used in experiments or research to obtain desired results.
· Plans and supervises training of technicians and other laboratory personnel with respect to proper laboratory techniques, use of laboratory equipment, and safety procedures.
· May confer with industrial, governmental, or other groups concerning progress or results of research project.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
To learn more about the benefits UT Southwestern offers, visit https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/employees/hr-resources/
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information. UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. As an equal opportunity employer, UT Southwestern prohibits unlawful discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or veteran status.
To learn more, please visit: https://jobs.utsouthwestern.edu/why-work-here/diversity-inclusion