Why UT Southwestern?
With over 75 years of excellence in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, UT Southwestern is committed to excellence, innovation, teamwork, and compassion. At UT Southwestern, we invest in you with opportunities for career growth and development that align with your future goals and help to provide security for you and your family. Our highly competitive benefits package offers healthcare, PTO and paid holidays, on-site childcare, wage, merit increases and so much more that are all available on the day you start work. UT Southwestern is honored to be a Veteran Friendly work environment that is home to approximately 800 veterans. We value your integrity, dedication, and the commitment you’ve made to our country. We’re proud to support your next mission. Ranked by Forbes as one of the Top 10 National Employers, we invite you to be a part of the UT Southwestern team where you’ll discover teamwork, professionalism, and consistent opportunities for growth.
Join us at UT Southwestern, where you’ll be part of our talented network engineering team, working within a robust network environment. You’ll have the opportunity to engage with diverse network platforms, including Cisco Catalyst Core, Distribution and Access Switching, Palo Alto Security Appliances, Nexus Data Center Switching, ACI and more. This position requires 2 years’ experience with CISCO data center, ACI, and DHCP/DNS Administration and least 3 years’ experience with Palo Alto firewalls. Elevate your career and thrive at UT Southwestern. This position is 100% on site and not remote.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, with eight (8) years of experience in an enterprise support role and relevant experience with software or appliances used in network systems.
- May consider additional years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- Two years’ experience with CISCO data center, ACI, and DHCP/DNS Administration
- Three years’ experience with Palo Alto firewalls.
- Manages the network security posture as it relates to numerous network projects.
- Performs evaluations, recommends, and implements solutions from a network security-wired and wireless perspective.
- Provides security technical expertise and assistance for design integration support applications, networks, communications, and operational systems with members from other divisions within Information Resources.
- Plans, documents, and implements network communications systems.
- Provides specifications and detailed schematics for network architecture including MOPs and project plans.
- Provides specific, detailed information for hardware and software selection, implementation techniques, and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs, including present and future capacity planning.
- Coordinates testing of network design for redundancy, resiliency, and capacity.
- Performs firewall implementation and administration as needed based on requests and required maintenance.
- Maintains technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware, software interconnection, and interfaces such as routers, firewalls, switches, gateways, and related functions.
- Maintains and plans WAN connected clinics and sites.
- Evaluates and reports on new communication technologies to enhance the capabilities of the network.
- Mentors and supports the work activities of lower-level Network Engineers.
- Remains knowledgeable of changes in technology, industry practices, and state and federal regulatory requirements by attendance at training seminars, trade shows and related venues.
- Participates in on-call rotation and scheduled change windows whose duties include nights and weekends
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strongly prefer CCNP certification
- Requires deep knowledge of TCP/IP routing protocols including EIGRP, OSPF and BGP.
- Requires knowledge of network virtualization, and automation such as ACI, NFV and SDN
- Work requires scripting languages such as PERL or Python; and automation tools like Ansible, Puppet
- Requires of Internet routing, firewalls and VPN.
- Works requires knowledge of authoritative standards, guidelines, and best practices relative to data network and security systems.
- Work requires ability to formulate and sustain effective and productive working relationships between diverse members of project teams and work groups within Information Resources and other departments at the institution.
- Work requires knowledge of technical computer security issues and Windows, UNIX, and LINUX operating systems, systems and network administration
- Work requires advanced knowledge of network design, firewalls/firewall security development, and network routing/switching protocols.
- Work requires ability to configure routers and switches, as well as design and implement networking changes.
- Requires expertise working wireless 802.1x, VOIP and HSNAC
- Can understand at a deep level IPAM and DNS/DHCP
- Has a deep knowledge of WAN technologies including leased lines and leased fiber with DWDM and optical transport systems.
- Work requires ability to design and implement networking tools, which integrate with other computing systems.
- Work requires ability to implement tools and features in network management platforms such as AKIPs, Solarwinds and NetDisco
- Work requires skill in delivering timely, quality customer service.
- Work requires physical exertion working with and connecting network devices.
- Work requires ability to give oral and written presentations.
- Work requires exercise of considerable judgment in application of procedures or techniques to work problems.
- Work requires development of policies and procedures and recommendation of products for approval.
To learn more about the benefits UT Southwestern offers visit: https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/employees/hr-resources/
For COVID-19 vaccine information, applicants should visit: https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/covid-19/work-on-campus/
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. As an equal opportunity employer, UT Southwestern prohibits unlawful discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or veteran status. To learn more, please visit: https://jobs.utsouthwestern.edu/why-work-here/diversity-inclusion.