Transition of Care Pharmacy Technician, IMSS
Why UT Southwestern?
With over 75 years of excellence in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, UT Southwestern is committed to excellence, innovation, teamwork, and compassion. At UT Southwestern, we invest in you with opportunities for career growth and development that align with your future goals and help to provide security for you and your family. Our highly competitive benefits package offers healthcare, PTO and paid holidays, on-site childcare, wage, merit increases and so much more that are all available on the day you start work. UT Southwestern is honored to be a Veteran Friendly work environment that is home to approximately 800 veterans. We value your integrity, dedication, and the commitment you’ve made to our country. We’re proud to support your next mission. Ranked by Forbes as one of the Top 10 National Employers, we invite you to be a part of the UT Southwestern team where you’ll discover teamwork, professionalism, and consistent opportunities for growth.
The Transition of Care Pharmacy Technician works under supervision of Pharmacy Supervisor or Pharmacy Manager. The Transitions of Care Pharmacy Technician for Primary Care Services at THD Clinic is responsible for completing prior authorizations and refill authorizations for the clinic. Complete prior authorizations and/or refill authorizations for Internal Medicine Subspecialities Clinic (Main Campus)
Experience and Education
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in retail pharmacy or equivalent. High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Registration with Texas State Board of Pharmacy (TSBP) as a Registered Technician or Pharmacist Intern is required and national certification with Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) preferred.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross (ARC) required by start date.
Transition of Care Pharmacy Technician (TCPT) responsibilities may include:
- Promote patient safety through creation of the most accurate up to date medication list, processing of prior authorizations and/or providing authorization of refill requests.
- Completes tasks in EMR as directed Participate in teaching activities, including but not limited to, precept Pharmacy Technicians, Pharmacy Students, Pharmacists, and Nurses regarding home medication interviews and documentation.
- Report directly to the pharmacist on service for TCPT team and to other pharmacists while working PMRT will assume additional duties as required by the Pharmacy Director, manager, and/or supervisor.
- Medication Reconciliation Activities may include: Independently obtain medication history assessments for admissions to the hospital or within ambulatory clinics.
- Provide complete information regarding each medication identified (i.e., drug, dose, route, frequency, indication for PRN, and last dose taken-date/time).
- Obtain information by interviewing the patient, family, calling local pharmacies, Long Term Care facilities and other resources.
- Verify patient allergy information and ensure complete documentation (i.e., substance, allergy category, reaction description) and coordinate medication history assessment with nursing team.
- Document the medication history and allergy information in the electronic medical record accurately and in a timely manner.
Prior Authorization Activities may include:
- Initiate and coordinate prior authorization requests in the automated prior authorization system.
- Act as a liaison between the Clinical Department and members, providers, pharmacies, and internal departments and respond to inquiries regarding status of prior authorization requests.
- Assist with internal and external reporting requests and summarize internal program statistics. maintain prior authorization management solution, including:
- Interpretation and application of prior authorization guideline revisions.
- Configuration and quality assurance of clinical criteria, decision scenarios, and other elements.
- Development and maintenance of notification templates in compliance with client plan language and other regulatory requirements.
- Compare prescription claims data against requested parameters and summarize/present results or recommendations.
Prescription Refill Authorization Activities may include:
- Utilize authorized physician protocol to process prescription refill requests in a timely manner and documents into EMR system.
- Conduct patient and pharmacy callbacks in a time efficient manner while maintaining proper phone etiquette.
- Handle intake of multiple phone lines using established scripts, protocols and service processes.
- Respond to each call in an efficient, effective, and professional manner.
- Accurately track and enter calls using appropriate documentation, reporting, and database applications.
- Assist with maintaining department databases and resource tools.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Work requires good organizational skills.
- Basic computer skills, data entry, filing. English (speaking, reading, writing).
- Good general health and stress coping ability.
- Moderate physical effort: prolonged standing/walking, occasional lifting/carrying (up to 25 lbs), reaching, bending, crouching, etc.
- OSHA Category III.
- Work is performed primarily in office area.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents in lieu of stated minimum require prior approval of Vice President for Human Resources Administration or his/her designee.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. As an equal opportunity employer, UT Southwestern prohibits unlawful discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or veteran status. To learn more, please visit: https://jobs.utsouthwestern.edu/why-work-here/diversity-inclusion