Anesthesiologist / Director, Division of Obstetric and Gynecology
Job Number: 527583
Category: Faculty and Physicians
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 240810 - Anes Chrmn Admin
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
The UT Southwestern Medical Center Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management is actively seeking an experienced academic obstetric anesthesiologist to serve as the new Division Director of Obstetric Anesthesiology for the Department. The individual would oversee activities at two sites of service: Parkland Health and Hospital System (PHHS) and William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital (Clements). Parkland Hospital’s Obstetrics Department is one of the busiest in the country, with approximately 12,000 deliveries each year and a 32% cesarean rate. Care for some of the highest risk pregnancies and deliveries in Texas occurs in this unit. The unit at Clements is equally as challenging, caring for an array of parturients, many of whom are referred to the medical center due to especially complex medical conditions. This unit manages approximately 2000 deliveries annually. The OBA Division provides dedicated in-house 24/7 coverage at each facility. All anesthesiology residents rotate through this service, and there are two ACGME-approved OB fellows. A MOCA-certified simulation center is used for multi-professional and team training. Upon initial appointment the individual would also assume the title of Chief of Obstetrical Anesthesiology at PHHS. Academic rank will be awarded commensurate with academic credentials and experience.
Key responsibilities for this Division Director will include direct patient care as well as oversight in the following areas:
• Division and Department representative at OB-specific operational meetings at both facilities.
• Daily clinical service issues.
• Faculty manpower and necessary scheduling of resources.
• Education of faculty, residents, mid-level providers, and medical students.
• Evaluations and interviews for mid-level providers.
• Mentoring junior faculty.
• Facilitation of clinical and translational research.
• Close collaboration with the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
As befits a leadership position, the candidate should possess qualifications for appointment at the academic rank of Associate or full Professor. The successful candidate must also be a superb clinician and educator with at least seven years of experience. In addition, this individual must:
• Be certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology.
• Be fellowship-trained or equivalent in Obstetrical Anesthesiology.
• Be actively involved in clinical or translational research.
• Be recognized for their contributions to Obstetrical Anesthesiology.
• Be eligible for an unrestricted license to practice medicine in Texas as well as a Federal controlled substance license.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.