Assistant Nurse Manager - 11 South BMT and Hem/Onc - Full Time
Job Number: 53963
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 866120 - 11 South BMT and Hem/Onc
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Experience and Education
Graduate of an accredited Nursing program.
Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
Current Texas (or BNE Compact State) license; BCLS. Specialty areas may have increased certification/license requirements as dictated by unit or standard of care.
A current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA).
Three years' experience as an RN. Specialty areas may have increased experience requirements as dictated by unit or standard of care.
Take advantage of this opportunity to join UT Southwestern Medical Center ranked one of the Best Places to Work by the Dallas Business Journal . Due to our continued growth, UT Southwestern Medical Center is seeking an AssistantNurse Manager - BMT and Hematology Oncology.Busy32 bed acute care , adult Stem Cell Transplant /Oncology unit.
- Directly supervises and evaluates the provision of patient care by other personnel assigned to the unit.
- Makes daily patient rounds.
- Does random chart audits.
- Utilizes opportunities to teach and mentor other nursing and ancillary personnel.
Manages staff to meet established productivity targets as appropriate.
- Reviews staffing/nursing assignments and revises as necessary to meet the specific needs of the patients on a shift by shift basis.
- Coordinates staffing with Central Staffing Office/House Supervisor.
- Makes ongoing changes to staffing as determined by fluctuations in census and patient acuity, to assure safe delivery of care.
- Role models pro-active problem solving by collaborating with staff to ensure effective resolution of identified issues.
- Utilizes chain of command for unresolved or escalating issues.
- Advocates for patients and staff to provide for safe delivery of care and/or a safe environment of care.
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to provide coverage during shifts when staffing crisis/shortage occurs.
- Provides timely, confidential coaching and/or counseling of nursing personnel as appropriate and follows up with accurate reports to Unit Manager and Assistant Manager, Care Coordination.
- Promotes and enthusiastically supports professional growth of staff by providing equal opportunities for participation in unit based activities, patient care/unit decisions, hospital committees, and/or continuing education.
- Responsible for maintaining/improving/implementing plans for employee engagement scores.
- Assures first person reporting of events through RL Solutions.
- Ensures all staff are competent in entering event reports and serves as a resource when necessary. Investigates facts of event reports.
- Facilitates timely receipt of these reports for follow-up by the Unit Manager
- Notifies Nurse Manager/Risk Manager immediately of high risk situations.
- Actively participates in routine and special patient care conferences.
- Responsible for maintaining/improving/implementing plans for patient satisfaction scores. Works with Unit Manager, Assistant Manager Care Coordination, Transition Coordinator and other disciplines to streamline discharge of patients and reaches goals for time to discharge from orders written.
- Collects information and maintains records regarding performance and contributions on an ongoing basis throughout the fiscal year.
- Provides input and/or conducts annual performance reviews and orientation evaluation of personnel assigned to the unit.
- Coordinates self-scheduling to maintain appropriate coverage for unit needs.
- Maintains Kronos records on a daily basis, monitoring for trends that require intervention i.e.; late clock-ins, incremental overtime, missed punches.
- Assumes delegated responsibility for inventory control of equipment and supplies to ensure safe and effective patient care.
- Facilitates timely return of rented or borrowed specialty equipment.
- Solicits staff input regarding equipment and supply needs for the unit.
- Assists with staff meetings, special projects and the development, implementation and evaluation of performance improvement activities.
- Communicates data and solicits input from staff regarding performance and quality improvement i.e.;
- Patient safety, infection control.
- Actively participates on hospital work groups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum of 2 years' oncology experience.
OCN and/or BMT certification.