Assistant Nurse Manager 3rd Floor Prep & PACU (CUH)
Job Number: 78141
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 866650 - Pacu-CUH
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Experience and Education
Graduate of an accredited Nursing program. BSN Required.
Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
Current Texas (or BNE Compact State) license, BCLS. Specialty areas may have increased certification/license requirements as dictated by unit or standard of care.
A current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA).
A current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association.
Three years experience as an RN. Specialty areas may have increased experience requirements as dictated by unit or standard of care.
- Directly supervises and evaluates the provision of patient care by other personnel assigned to the unit.
- Makes daily patient rounds.
- Does random chart audits.
- Utilizes opportunities to teach and mentor other nursing and ancillary personnel.
- Manages staff to meet established productivity targets as appropriate.
- Reviews staffing/nursing assignments and revises as necessary to meet the specific needs of the patients on a shift by shift basis.
- Coordinates staffing with Central Staffing Office/House Supervisor.
- Makes ongoing changes to staffing as determined by fluctuations in census and patient acuity, to assure safe delivery of care.
- Role models pro-active problem solving by collaborating with staff to ensure effective resolution of identified issues.
- Utilizes chain of command for unresolved or escalating issues.
- Advocates for patients and staff to provide for safe delivery of care and/or a safe environment of care.
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to provide coverage during shifts when staffing crisis/shortage occurs.
- Provides timely, confidential coaching and/or counseling of nursing personnel as appropriate and follows up with accurate reports to Unit Manager and Assistant Manager, Care Coordination.
- Promotes and enthusiastically supports professional growth of staff by providing equal opportunities for participation in unit based activities, patient care/unit decisions, hospital committees, and/or continuing education.
- Responsible for maintaining/improving/implementing plans for employee engagement scores.
- Assures first person reporting of events through RL Solutions.
- Ensures all staff are competent in entering event reports and serves as a resource when necessary.
- Investigates facts of event reports.
- Facilitates timely receipt of these reports for follow-up by the Unit Manager
- Notifies Nurse Manager/Risk Manager immediately of high risk situations.
Actively participates in routine and special patient care conferences.
- Responsible for maintaining/improving/implementing plans for patient satisfaction scores.
- Works with Unit Manager, Assistant Manager Care Coordination, Transition Coordinator and other disciplines to streamline discharge of patients and reaches goals for time to discharge from orders written.
- Collects information and maintains records regarding performance and contributions on an ongoing basis throughout the fiscal year.
- Provides input and/or conducts annual performance reviews and orientation evaluation of personnel assigned to the unit.
- Coordinates self scheduling to maintain appropriate coverage for unit needs.
- Maintains Kronos records on a daily basis, monitoring for trends that require intervention i.e.,., late clock-ins, incremental overtime, missed punches.
- Assumes delegated responsibility for inventory control of equipment and supplies to ensure safe and effective patient care.
- Facilitates timely return of rented or borrowed specialty equipment.
- Solicits staff input regarding equipment and supply needs for the unit.
- Assists with staff meetings, special projects and the development, implementation and evaluation of performance improvement activities.
- Communicates data and solicits input from staff regarding performance and quality improvement i.e.,. Patient safety, infection control. Actively participates on hospital work groups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Assistant Nurse Manager reports to Unit Manager. Must be flexible as it relates to availability to the unit. Administrative Call is required. Schedule is flexible and dependent upon operational business hours.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.