Assistant Privacy Officer - Office of Compliance
Job Number: 82203
Category: Professional & Executive
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 106000 - Office of Compliance
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, Healthcare delivery or directly related field (or equivalent) with at least six (6) years' experience in healthcare administration which includes two (2) years in a privacy or compliance program in a hospital, physician practice, academic medical center or health plan. Experience required with drafting policies and procedures. Experience required in reviewing/auditing/analyzing compliance with regulatory requirements. Experience required in developing and implementing necessary corrective action plans where there are identified gaps between processes. Master's Degree or JD preferred.
- Direct privacy work experience
- Privacy certification
- Function under the direction of the Privacy Officer to ensure UT Southwestern's privacy activities are consistent with state and federal laws.
- Assist with monitoring of UT Southwestern departments to ensure compliance with HIPAA, HITECH and state privacy laws.
- Work with departments to identify privacy gaps and deficiencies.
- Participate in the development of appropriate work flows and corrective actions to address identified gaps and deficiencies.
- Assist in the development of privacy training programs. Conduct and monitor the effectiveness of employee, faculty and student privacy training programs.
- Participate in monitoring workforce compliance with required privacy training.
- Conduct periodic monitoring reviews to identify deficiencies in the adherence to privacy policies and procedures, and work with departments to develop appropriate action plans to mitigate deficiencies.
- Assist the Privacy Officer with the management of privacy disputes and complaint investigations.
- Assess the effectiveness of the privacy compliance program, and make revisions, as necessary.
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of administrative record keeping requirements.
- Provide administrative and operational leadership to Privacy Analyst(s).
- Maintain effective working relationships with Compliance personnel.
- Partner with departments to meet privacy educational needs.
- Provide technical assistance and work to develop department-level privacy policies and procedures, as needed, to validate that departmental processes minimize risk.
- Collaborate with Information Resources-Security office to assess appropriate access to PHI by employees.
- Work with applicable departments to determine the level of access required for specific positions and employees.
- Investigate Privacy complaints and develop findings and corrective actions plans.
- Provide recommendations to the Privacy Officer.
- Log complaints and other privacy events and issues in an appropriate case tracking tool. Maintain department tracking system to ensure member privacy concerns, complaints and breaches are documented accurately and appropriately addressed in a timely manner.
- Assist departments in timely reports of Privacy complaints received from work force members.
- Assist with timely reports in response to regulatory entity Privacy complaints.
- Prepare required reports of all privacy issues. Provide supporting evidence, as needed.
- Provide written reports to the Information Security and Privacy Committee to ensure that privacy policies and procedures are enforced.
- Identify ways to improve work processes. Make recommendations for improvements, assist in the implementation of, and support of the overall goals of the Privacy Office.
- Remain current on privacy and security laws and regulations and updates and changes that impact the Privacy Office.
- Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.