Assistant Vice President Sponsored Programs Admin - Post Award Admin
Job Number: 526773
Category: Professional & Executive
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 400310 - SPA - Post Award Admin
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Experience and Education
- Provide leadership, operational management, coordination, and oversight of the day-to-day operations of SPA in a manner that is conducive to collaboration, compassion, and commitment to furthering UT Southwestern's research mission.
- On an ongoing basis, oversee educational and training programs for research administrators, the faculty, and other staff relating to pre-awards, post-awards, and clinical trials. In addition to training SPA's staff, training programs will include research administrators in departments and centers.
- Develop mechanisms to identify and disseminate new and enhanced research programmatic and funding areas based on existing institutional strengths, external forces, and opportunities.
- Provide comprehensive support for the full life-cycle of sponsored awards and related compliance administration for pre-awards, post-awards, and clinical trials.
- Lead continuous process and operational improvement initiatives to reduce cycle-times, improve overall compliance posture, and remove unnecessary administrative burdens. Ensures the office will provide knowledgeable, friendly, professional, and timely support to the research community.
- Coordinate, develop, and guide proposal development teams in the preparation of highly competitive proposals to state and federal agencies, private foundations, and business entities for major fund applications. These teams will include Deans, faculty members, department heads, interdisciplinary program directors, researchers, and other members of SPA. The pursuit of these major funding opportunities will build on disciplinary and multidisciplinary academic strengths of UT Southwestern.
- On an ongoing basis, evaluate and enhance SPA's team approach with Principal Investigators, department administrators, and other Medical Center staff.
- Represent the interests of the Deans, Chairs, faculty, staff, and senior leadership in defining, developing, and implementing institutional business operations to effectively encourage and support sponsored award and compliance activities.
- Responsible for examining, refining, and executing the mission of SPA.
- On an ongoing basis, evaluate and improve operating metrics and service levels provided to Medical Center grant and contract recipients, departmental administrators, and central staff. Identify and recommend system enhancements to minimize obstacles, streamline processes, and increase efficiency of grant and contract related activities. On a regular basis, generate and publish performance measures of SPA operations as well as overall research productivity metrics for the institution.
- Advocate research administration initiatives among UTSW leadership and the research community.
- Serve as an expert in interpreting and explaining research policies and guidelines from granting agencies.
- Liaise with extramural sponsors, federal, state, and local governments, and private sector agencies on matters relating to sponsored programs administration.
- Oversee the financial and accounting aspects of the Medical Center's sub-awardee monitoring activities, including reviewing the financial risks inherent in doing business with the sub-awardee and reviewing the cost-allowability of sub-awardee invoices and ensuring compliance with federal regulations and both prime and sub-awardee terms and conditions.
- Direct the preparation of required financial and accounting reports to sponsors. Close out Medical Center accounts according to institutional and sponsor agency policy and good accounting practices.
- Oversee the billing and collection activity related to all grant and contract revenue, including clinical research billing. Assure appropriate controls, systems, and reconciliation processes are in place.
- In clinical trials administration, develop appropriate interfaces between front-end award receipt and coverage analysis with the front-line operations in the clinic setting, as well as back-end interface for sponsor billing.
- Develop annual operating plans and budgets; strategically use resources to achieving objectives.
- Support senior leadership in the development of institutional policies, procedures, and training that support the conduct of sponsored research, research compliance, and information technology specific to research administration.
- Monitor Medical Center sponsored funds and activities according to federal and state regulations and guidelines, including those published by the Federal Office of Management and Budget. Interpret regulations and guidelines for the Medical Center and advice on policy and procedure development. Evaluate risks and initiate changes where appropriate. Maintain current expertise in all applicable rules, regulations, guidelines, and proposed changes to such.
- Oversee and monitor audit activities by federal, state, and independent auditors. Assist departmental personnel with audit activities. Maintain records of audit activity and own communication with senior leadership about audit-related activity. Systematically track and monitor all external oversight and audit responsibilities and proactively identify and remediate all potential and/or previously identified audit issues and control weaknesses.
- Oversee the development and preparation of the indirect cost recovery (F&A) proposal; coordinate negotiations with the Medical Center's cognizant agency.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.