Department Administrator - Clinical Pediatrics
Job Number: 529301
Category: Professional & Executive
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 238100 - Pediatrics
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Experience and Education
Preferred: Master's degree in Business or Healthcare Administration and eight (8) years directly related experience with at least four (4) years in supervisory/ management capacity.
- Partners with Department Chair and other institutional leaders in the operations and strategic planning of the department as it relates to budget planning, fiscal and resource planning/administration, human resource utilization, policy administration, and coordination and negotiation of activities with other entities.
- Provides strategic leadership, oversight and management over all aspects of the day-to-day administration of the department; works in close collaboration with departmental leadership to implement strategic and operational plans; may represent the Chair in various meetings and venues.
- Supports and partners with the Chief Operating Officer for Academic Affairs on School of Medicine and Health System goals and other administrative and financial issues.
- Participates in strategic planning to ensure that department and UTSW goals are aligned and contribute toward market growth, revenue enhancement, cost containment, maximizing clinical practice and research productivity.
- Manages administrative matters related to program development; conducts in-depth analyses of operational functions within the Department; develops and implements new or amended procedures as needed; develops quantitative metrics to measure financial and operational impact of decisions and actions; oversees all office and research space assignments and prioritization of capital requests, including equipment and space renovations.
- Advises department and institution on fiscal matters; ensures fiscal control through a reliable system of expenditure and revenue management; provides support to departmental leadership in managing and monitoring individual financial management issues; monitors budget and fiscal performance, recommending corrective action where appropriate; prepares and analyzes financial reports; sets up and monitors appropriate internal control practices; provides accurate up-to-date financial information to Department Chair and departmental leadership to support the successful financial management of the department.
- Oversees departmental human resource activities including, but not limited to, recruitment, interviewing, selection, visa management, salary analysis and sourcing, disciplinary actions, leave administration, employee development, and performance evaluations of classified staff, faculty, trainees, and fellows.
- Creates and develops business plans and models and proposes changes associated with funding lines, departmental research activities, clinical activities and faculty compensation where appropriate; helps to educate departmental leadership in management and strategic planning for research and clinical programs; facilitates partnerships and strategic alliances for clinical expansion and engagement with the community.
- Directs the administration of the research enterprise within the department; directs grant administration, recommends and develops new grant funding and supports the preparation of major research proposals from a financial and administrative perspective.
- Oversees the administrative component of the promotion and tenure and faculty appointment process and ensures the department is following the appropriate policies working in partnership with the School of Medicine Dean's Office.
- Develops programs and standards of performance to continually measure and evaluate safety, service and quality improvement; monitors standards through the implementation of training, allocation of resources and application of corrective actions as necessary.
- May direct and manage the department's billing and revenue cycle operations.
- Provides administrative direction to the educational programs of the department under the direction of the Chair and Residency Director; supervises appropriate staff and provides coordination and oversight of functions of the Residency and Fellowship Training Programs.
- Provides administrative direction to the research support of the department; in collaboration with the Chair, ensures compliance with institutional guidelines and state and federal laws.
- Represents the Chair in his absence on administrative and fiscal matters.
- Consistently attends meetings and has an institutional minded view when representing the department on administrative and financial issues.
- Sets a tone of service excellence and is collaborative in nature focusing on data based decision-making.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with organizational peers, serves on committees, ensures that department responds to institutional requests and completes projects in a timely fashion.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.