Ophthalmic Assistant -Ophthalmology
Job Number: 312538
Category: Allied Health
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 240975 - Ophthlmlgy Clnc
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Experience and Education
- High school graduation plus completion of basic and advanced home-study courses approved by the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology, and two years of experience including one year in medical or related field.
- Prefer completion of the home study course for Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology within one year of hire date.
- Assists ophthalmologists in treatment and care of patients.
- Opens, stocks, cleans, and closes patient rooms.
- Obtains basic medical history and ocular complaints from patients.
- Measures patients' glasses.
- Writes and calls in Rx prescriptions to pharmacies as directed by ophthalmologists.
- Tests ocular functions, including visual acuity, muscle balance, and intra-ocular tension.
- Administers eye and oral medications as directed by ophthalmologists.
- Changes eye dressings and instructs patients and/or caregivers in home care.
- Maintains ophthalmic instruments by sterilizing surgical instruments and cleaning exposed lenses, mirrors, and prisms and replacing burned out bulbs and batteries.
- Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.