Registered Nurse - Oncology - PRN - BMT Clinic - Simmons Cancer Center
Job Number: 341209
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 867503 - SCC-BMT CLINIC
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Schedule: Per Diem - PRN
Experience and Education
Associate's degree (BSN preferred) and two (2) years nursing experience, oncology experience preferred.
Licensure as Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for State of Texas, and a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA), are required.
Certification in one of the clinical areas offered by the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC) required within 24 months of employment (OCN, CPHON, CBCN, or BMTCN). Application for certification is required upon meeting eligibility criteria.
1. Maintains adequate stock of supplies as required for work area. Maintains a safe and secure environment to meet patient needs. Facilitates patient scheduling for all tests and visits. Completes billing of all nursing procedures including any infusion therapy.
2. Prepares equipment and assists physicians during physical exams and medical procedures. Prepares patient for the physician exam. Chaperones physician visit. Prepares and administers medications as prescribed by physician. Takes, records, and reports patient vital signs using medical equipment; inspects equipment and facilities visually and physically to ensure patient safety and proper functioning of equipment. Obtains any specimens ordered by the physician for collection.
3. Obtains medical history from patients through structured interviews in accordance with departmental guidelines. Documents nursing assessment. Documents patient care interventions and education in medical records; ensures appropriate patient consents and authorizations are obtained for research and/or medical treatment. Delivers nursing interventions to assigned patients that are consistent with stated medical plan of care while observing and recording signs, symptoms, and behavior of patients in medical records.
4. Triages patient phone inquiries according to physician and/or departmental protocols and documents such inquiries and results in patients' medical records. Demonstrates effective communication skills, physical and psychosocial assessment skills, and knowledge of how to access pertinent health records to facilitate triage decision making.
5. Participates in evaluating nursing needs of patients; assesses problems affecting patients; recommends policy and/or procedural changes according to nursing expertise; schedules patients' appointments, tests, and procedures via on-line computer system or telephone. Facilitates patient-physician communication and assists the patient through the treatment process.
6. Provides patient education, procedural instructions, general health information, and reinforces physician instructions in person and through telephone contact. Documents patient education in the medical record.
7. Administers chemotherapy and blood products in the infusion area. Demonstrates knowledge of central line, port, and IV management. Provides nursing care to the patient undergoing complex procedures such as bone marrow biopsies or intrathecal chemotherapy. The bone marrow transplant nurse will be responsible for administering high dose chemotherapy and stem cell infusions.
8. Provides patient counseling based on specialized and/or advanced knowledge gained through education and experience.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.