Research Assistant I - Pediatric Neurology
Job Number: 1900003B
Category: Research & Laboratory
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 238259 - Pediatric Neurology
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
- Performs routine scientific and medical research work in science area such as biology, chemistry, physics, or other related scientific field.
- Assembles and/or operates various laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Records research data in accordance with prescribed procedures, discussing results with supervisor.
- Assists in collection of data for project reports.
- Reads literature and confers with supervisor concerning implementation of new procedures.
- May plan for, and provide working supervision to, work of laboratory personnel of lower grade engaged in limited phase of research project.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Strongly Preferred Skills
- Chemistry/Physics or Engineering Degree
- Computer programming or web programming experience.
- Excel experience
Other Job Responsibilities
The primary responsibility in this position will be processing research imaging data (from MRI and PET scans). Preparing images for analysis involves a combination of ready-made software packages and custom-generated programs, and includes these skills: Experience coding in Linux is highly desirable, especially using shell scripts for data collection and image manipulation. Use of imaging analysis tools such as FSL, Freesurfer, and ITK Snap is desired but not required. Knowledge of Python and/or Matlab is beneficial but not required. Experience in database management is beneficial but not required