Research RN - Clinical Nutrition
Job Number: 344293
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 250001 - Clinical Nutrition
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Experience and Education
- Graduate of NLN approved Nursing program, licensure as Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas required.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through a course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA) is required.
- Experience in research nursing for at least one (1) year is preferred.
- Recruits patients for research studies ensuring subject eligibility, screens patients, tracks patients' data and explains the study purpose and content of each study. Obtains informed consent and follows the proper consenting process for patients and/or family members.
- Performs nursing care, nursing assessment, and data collection for clinical research studies.
- Coordinates clinical research data collection for pharmaceutical studies, Federal studies or investigator initiated studies in patient records (paper and electronic), sponsors documents (electronic and paper) and other forms for data collection. May also report information to other physicians and granting agencies. Collects, labels, stores and ships blood, serum, urine and other specimens for analysis for each protocol.
- Develops procedures for inpatient and outpatient research activities, follows protocols in the scheduling of tests and procedures; administers experimental and non-experimental medication and procedures under physician guidance.
- Trains other research nurses in specialized skills and knowledge necessary to perform variety of basic and complex research data collection and nursing care; provides in-service education to staff members as appropriate.
- Provides working direction for research activities to nursing staff and/or other non-licensed medical or office support personnel.
- Assists in resolving problems relating to patient care and acts as a patient advocate. Gives counsel to patients with respect to medical conditions and provides appropriate guidance related to research activities.
- Monitors and evaluates patients involved in research studies, including their response to therapy. Advises the physician and sponsors on current conditions including possible side effects of therapy. Reports adverse events through the appropriate sources per the policy of the protocol and the University Institutional Review Board (IRB) regulations.
- Assists in organizing and preparing collected data for subsequent publication as appropriate.
- Coordinates, if appropriate, all regulatory aspects for each study, which may include budgets, contracts, IRB submissions, and other required committee submissions. Responds to internal and/or external audit requests.
- Occasionally, attends and participates in out of town meetings.
- Maintains inventory of investigational mediation, devices or approved medication for each protocol and acts as liaison between investigator pharmacy as each protocol requires. Performs other duties as assigned.