Senior Employee Relations Consultant
Job Number: 91608
Category: Professional & Executive
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 513003 - Employee Relations
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorized UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information .
Experience and Education
- Bachelors Degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, or related field and a minimum of five (5) years professional experience in one or more areas of human resource management, including at least three (3) years in assigned area.
- Provides advice, problem resolution, and facilitation in the areas of employee relations, performance management, and other related matters. Resolving and/or triaging issues as appropriate.
- Counsels, advises, and works with all levels of leadership and employees to identify and resolve work related matters in order to improve workforce performance and effectiveness.
- Facilitates conversations between supervisors and employees in a way which results in accountability and problem resolution.
- Conducts investigations ensuring all facts have been gathered, uses facts in determining appropriate disciplinary action; prepares appropriate response/recommendations to manager/supervisor.
- Assists supervisors/managers in articulating the facts that supports the need for disciplinary action. Reviews all request for disciplinary actions ensuring information contained is factual and supports the action being taken. Ensures information being communicated, is written in a manner that is clear and understandable by the employee.
- Builds effective partnership with customers; gain an understanding of the work performed and challenges faced by the customer.
- Utilizes data from surveys, reports, and other means to identify trends; works with supervisors/managers to proactively address concerns/challenges.
- Facilitates employee grievance and appeal processes for classified employees. Works with managers/supervisors to prepare grievance responses. Prepares summary and documentation for appeals, to be reviewed by the EVP of Business Affairs.
- Supports and facilitates the development of training for managers and employees. Partners with Organizational Development & Training (ODT) to deliver training, engagement surveys and/or other HR programs.
- Main tains required information in Employee Relations databases, entering required information within 3 business days of receipt.
- Interprets and communicates UT Southwestern policies and procedures in a clear and consistent way to employees, advising of their rights. Stays abreast of state and federal laws.
- Collaborates and/or consults with various departments, including but not limited to Legal, Compliance, Internal Audit, Leave Administration and the Office of Institutional Equity & Access, as needed.
- Participates in TWC Unemployment hearings, providing necessary information as requested.
- Traveling between assigned work areas on UT Southwestern main campus. May also support facilities that require travel throughout DFW metroplex (i.e.x Frisco, Plano, Richardson, Irving and Fort Worth).
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Work requires ability to interpret policy and apply procedures, techniques, or practices to work problems.
- Work requires effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Work requires ability to work effectively in high stress and high volume environments.
- Work requires telephone and personal contact with all levels of internal and external personnel and organizations to obtain or provide information and explain facts, policies, and procedures relating to resolution of problems of a recurring but non-routine nature.
- Work requires reading, writing, simple to advanced arithmetic, data analysis, report writing, interpretation of policies and procedures, and organization of resources to meet goals.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.