Sr. Department Systems Engineer - Bioinformatics
Job Number: 1800008B
Category: Information Technology
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 245101 - Bioinformatics
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Experience and Education
relates to projects and tasks. Certification in at least one relevant operating system or associated technology. May be required to submit to a federal background investigation.
- Works to identify and propose innovative and creative solutions that enhance or increase the efficiency of the services provided by Information Resources to the campus community.
- Performs complex network troubleshooting at the server host level, using associated tools, i.e. network traces.
- Works with operating system security components, both with identifying potential vulnerabilities and remediating said vulnerabilities where applicable.
- Analyzes and remediates complex problems involving server hardware, operating systems, database systems, applications or other related technologies associated with the server host system including troubleshooting hardware and software issues using proficiencies with the proper tools and utilities.
- Works with system users and engineers to make recommendations, receive feedback and test additions and/or enhancements to the server host environment so that the systems and any associated/ hosted applications or virtual environments are updated, tested, developed and implemented as required.
- Proposes policies for server hardware, operating system and associated storage layout and design; works in tandem with scientific and technical community using knowledge of future trends to produce a combined systems solution that is based on user and system engineer needs.
- Installs server hardware, operating systems and associated application upgrades in a manner that compliments the University's computing infrastructure and maintain proper and network integrity.
- Responsible for consulting with end users, application analysts and vendors as a component of leading assigned project efforts including the intial design and development phases, hardware/ software specifications and pricing and the follow on system design, build, configuration testing, go live and project closure tasks.
- Responsible for developing documentation relative to assigned projects and tasks including documentation related to system testing, disaster recovery and routine system administration processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.**
- Perform architecture design and day-to-day operational maintenance, support and upgrades for Linux operating systems, and servers.
- Platforms to be supported include Red Hat Enterprise, Linux, CentOS and Linux-based security appliances.
- Develop and implement innovative and complex solutions, ensuring that upgrades and changes comply with established guidelines and processes.
- Further develop and execute High Performance Computing solutions using cluster/grid technologies.
- Lead implementation of systems improvements as a senior team lead; includes planning, development and project management for advancing a robust and scalable management infrastructure for Linux computing resources.
- Apply in-depth HPC and Linux expertise to collaborate with stakeholders across IT and domain disciplines to expand HPC use in support of world class, cutting-edge scientific research.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.