Senior Pharmacist-Outpatient Oncology Infusion Pharmacy
Job Number: 98526
Category: Professional & Executive
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 867502 - UH-Clinic SCC HemOnc Infusion
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Experience and Education
1. Manages operations of pharmacy as the Pharmacist in Charge with TSBP, including supervising Pharmacist(s) and Pharmacy Technician(s). Performs job responsibilities in accordance with organizational and departmental policies, procedures, performance improvement objectives and environmental/infection control standards as well as state and federal laws and regulations.
2. Performs all computer order entry in an accurate, thorough and timely manner. Reviews/updates medication profiles (therapies, allergies, height, weight, etc) and is cognizant of patient charges.
3. Reviews medication orders for therapeutic appropriateness, duplications, interactions, overall effectiveness and safety. Seeks clarification if necessary and documents interventions (i.e. ADR).
4. Consistently works (multi-tasks) and problem solves independently and effectively with minimal supervision. Takes charge when necessary and is looked to for direction. Makes the right decisions and uses good judgment. Is cross trained and multifunctional maintaining competency in multiple areas.
5. Procures drugs, devices, and pharmaceutical materials necessary for treatment of patients; maintains accurate control and accountability for all pharmaceutical materials as required by applicable state and federal laws and regulations. Enforces the formulary system and follows departmental policy and procedure when acquisition of NF product is judged necessary. Participates in cost effective use and selection of pharmaceuticals.
6. Communicates drug information (verbally and in writing) to physicians, nurses, etc in a courteous and professional manner. Assists in patient/family education and counseling regarding drug therapy and side effects. Also effectively documents clinical activities, demonstrating cost savings and concisely conveying key information required for follow-up by fellow pharmacists.
7. Manages technicians and all other supportive personnel. Delegates appropriate/reasonable tasks and validates accuracy of medications intended for distribution from the IV lab, central pharmacy or decentralized automated dispensing machines. Audits and signs out all controlled substances in accordance with state/federal guidelines and organizational policies. Investigates and corrects discrepancies and unusual usage patterns/trends. Oversees and maintains system for compounding, sterility assurance, quality assurance, and quality control of sterile pharmaceuticals.
8. Actively enhances personal growth and development by participating in educational programs, in-services and meetings. Actively participates in new employee orientation and training. Willingly takes on additional projects as needs develop.
9. Actively participates in the clinical program. Supports P&T initiatives by monitoring target drugs for protocol discontinue, substitution, IV to PO, etc. Collects applicable data/measures and communicates opportunities for improvement. Performs therapeutic monitoring of specified drug therapies and recommends dosage adjustments as needed based on renal function evaluation and pharmacokinetic calculations. Provides Investigational Drug Services for clinical researchers, including maintenance of drug accountability records in accordance with applicable laws and regulations for Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
10. Oversees the operations of the pharmacy, supervise the pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in accordance with the departmental policies and procedures.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.