Utilities Operations Manager
Job Number: 368662
Category: Skilled Trade/Facilities Mgmt.
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 524004 - Electrical System Operations
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
Experience and Education
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, Engineering or related field.
- Six years of experience in operation and maintenance of central plants, large (>25,000 cfm) air-handling equipment, steam reducing stations, pumps, steam boilers, refrigeration equipment, and water, gas, and electrical systems to include two (2) years supervisory experience as Superintendent of Utilities or equivalent.
- Licensed as Professional Engineer upon employment or ability to obtain licensure within one (1) year is preferred.
- Plans, schedules, coordinates, and directs operation, maintenance, and repair of heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) equipment and electrical, water, and gas distribution systems throughout UT Southwestern Medical Center.
- Determines priority of work to be performed and issues necessary work orders. Determines need and schedules utilities shutdowns for major repairs and maintenance work to ensure minimal interruption to normal activities of institution.
- Coordinates efforts of Utilities Division with supervisory personnel of Construction and Maintenance Division on joint work projects when necessary. Trains Maintenance and Operations Superintendents and their subordinate employees. Provides quality control by ensuring duties and training plans are completed.
- Plans and schedules long-range maintenance programs; determines frequency, scope and type of equipment to be included; modifies operations to minimize utility use while maximizing equipment reliability. Analyzes mechanical systems and makes plans to correct design and operational deficiencies.
- Coordinates, as required, with private contractors engaged in installation and renovation of mechanical, refrigeration, air- conditioning and heating equipment.
- Reviews spreadsheets for equipment and associated useful life; compares to actual reliability for various equipment. Creates long- term replacement plan for piping and systems as related to thermal plants and their distribution systems.
- Reviews equipment drawings and capital expansion plans for plants; provides design modifications for plants as required.
- Assists in preparation of department budget as it relates to Utilities Division in terms of capital expenditures, manpower requirements, and/or plant projects.
- Compiles and prepares required periodic reports relating to operations of Utilities Division. Updates plants' electronic files as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Utilities Operation Managersupervises, manages and trains the crew responsible for maintaining andmanaging the high voltage and medium voltage distribution system for thecampus, including ensuring proper and reliable operations of the high voltagesubstations. The position will oversee day-to-day operations and is essentialto provide collaborative, proactive and responsive service to the campus regardingmedium and high voltage electrical systems. Primary responsibilities include:
- Oversee operations of the substations includingthe new Substation ensuring loads are properly and safely distributed acrossSouth, West and North Campus including service to CUH and the new CUHexpansion
- Completes and coordinates complex projects andreports, including major utilities design and construction which requiresignificant contact with departments and outside organizations.
- Evaluates and manages utilities infrastructurerisk to minimalize risks to the Campus.
- Assists in operating and maintaining theelectrical infrastructure to eliminate any unscheduled outage and increasedavailability of electrical systems.
- Assist division Director with overseeing the existingSubstation and the high voltage & medium voltage electrical infrastructurethroughout the Campus and Hospital.
- Provides leadership to the Electrical SystemOperations team and creates the project environment to deliver the desiredresults through teamwork, support and recognition.
- Responsible for electrical infrastructureconstruction, electrical engineering services, employee staffing andadministration.
- Relieves Director of wide variety of internalduties and large volume of decisions, which require thorough understanding ofthe functions, programs, and policies of organization.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.